Rebuilding Calipers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plskthompson1

Reaction score
I don't know if any one would be interested, due to the apparent simplicity of it all, but I thought about documenting the caliper rebuild of "Phoenix". I have to do all 3, but I'm sure the process is the same all the way around, so I'll only document one. Is there any interest on the topic as a tutorial? Oh, if and when the pics are put up, my bleeder screws will not look normal. When I ordered the parts, I found a one man bleeder screw set up, so I ordered one to replace all of mine. Let me know if the interest is there.

I'm sure there are folks that aren't as mechanically inclined as others, that would love to have some tips on how easy or complicated the job might be. What might be an easy job for some might be a major headaches for others. A "basic" tutorial should give everyone an idea of how complicated doing the caliper(s) would be. Then, they would know if it was something they could tackle themselves, or leave to someone with a little more experience/patience.
I say go for it! :good:

No matter how seemingly simple or complicated a task may be I always learn from others methods of doing things and I'm sure it's the same for others.

Go for it!

Your thread will be a much appreciated contribution to the forums.

Your insight/complications when doing this will help others.. also how did you correct the issue, and if you replaced parts from whre did you acquire them?? these are the most helpful bits of information I have found.. the book says.... but I found,,,, I used these tools but the book calls for those tools.. etc..

Big tip for all brakes
DO NOT MIX FLUID TYPES. If you dont know the differance between DOT4.0, 4.1, 5.0 etc..
buy the whats written on the filler cap and change out all the fluid :rtfm:

SAFETY TIP: If you use compressed air to force out the pistons use someone else's fingers to hold stuff :fiddle:

Dave":2xrrv7wb said:
SAFETY TIP: If you use compressed air to force out the pistons use someone else's fingers to hold stuff :fiddle:

I assume you have a reason for suggesting this! Does your fingers still hurt? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

mcgovern61":fmvw32ip said:
Dave":fmvw32ip said:

I assume you have a reason for suggesting this! Does your fingers still hurt? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I cant "flip the bird" with my left hand but that came from a 200kph step off :music:
But I did see a mechanic jamb a few fingers doing calipers :sensored: :builder: :rtfm: :smilie_happy: :music2:

Bad news guys, I went out to take the caliper off today and get started and I noticed the caliper kits and pads are the wrong ones. I called Crescent Moon and found out that a PO has changed the calipers all the way around to a dual piston instead of single piston, :head bang: :sensored: :head bang: :sensored: so I have the wrong parts and have to wait on the new ones to get here. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten, I just need to get the right parts here. So until later.:cry:

Those guys were really nice about it all, though. I would recommend ordering your parts from them if they have it. It usually takes a little longer to get some things, but for customer service like that, I'll wait a few extra days.

I just got a used rear caliper in the mail today for my wing, I havnt had one on my bike since i twisted the bleeder off in it, Then i managed to brake the extractor bit inside of the broken off bleeder :fiddle:

So after i get the new bearings and tires put on then i'll tackle the rear brake problem

BigAndrew":39mt57h2 said:
Then i managed to brake the extractor bit inside of the broken off bleeder :fiddle:

My mate the boilermaker has a brother who is a mechanical engineer and he has a set of left hand drill bits. To use these you need a drill press with reverse gear. Ideal for drilling into broken extractor bits and normally the whole lot unsrews before he gets half way down the extractor. Minamum charge $100 per bolt :clapping:

BigAndrew":xykwqes4 said:
So after i get the new bearings and tires put on then i'll tackle the rear brake problem

Your right tyres are way more important than brakes, even more so when you have no brakes :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Old racers saying "Brakes Will Only Slow You Down" :music: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

BigAndrew":iahe1uqy said:
I just got a used rear caliper in the mail today for my wing, I havnt had one on my bike since i twisted the bleeder off in it, Then i managed to brake the extractor bit inside of the broken off bleeder :fiddle:

Andrew, Ibroke off an extractor inside of a broken valve cover bolt inside of my left head. I tried drilling out the extractor to no avail! What I finally did was used a dremmel with a small bit and shaved the broken bolt around the broken extractor and they both came out. Properly re-drilled the hole and installed a heli coil.

:blush: Yes new tires are more important then rear brakes :mrgreen:
Thats right... Brakes only slow you down :smilie_happy:

im not going to bother trying to get out the extractor bit, I couldnt drill it out and i didnt want to try to get around it to where i would have to drill larger and install a helicoil so i just bought another caliper, Only cost me $50 :fiddle: