Rebuilt/cleaned carbs and still runs like sh%^

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz2at

Reaction score
Like the title says I have rebuilt and cleaned the carbs, floats are adjusted and I still can't get my 81' to run right. I synched the carbs but it just won't run crisp! Off idle is crap. How can I determin a bad fuel pump? I have checked timing and with T1 the "up" is up on the cam wheels and the marks are on. What gives?????????????? :head bang:

slabghost":loi44mhc said:
Might be the vacuum advance or fuel mixtures need set or floats low or Carbs need synched.
Did you not read my post? Floats were set and carb's synched. I really hope it's not the vacuum advance.

I did read your post but often floats are not where they were put. Position and pressure make bench adjustments tricky at best. If the air/fuel mixture screws are still set at baseline you may be running too rich or too lean. Not saying you did anything wrong but getting four carbs to work together isn't always easy or a one time adjustment.

Here is a list of items I have done to the bike so far

1. Cleaned carbs and set float heights per factory service manual and synched after installation.
2. Installed new voltage regulator and cut the connector off and soldered the wires directly to each other.
3. Battery connections cleaned very well.
4. New air filter.
5. Adjusted the valves.
6. New timing belts- I double checked that the T1 mark was on and both the cam wheels were lined up.
7. I cut 1/4" off each plug wire and re-threaded the caps back on the wires.

Fitz2at":1n8nzfdo said:
Like the title says I have rebuilt and cleaned the carbs, floats are adjusted and I still can't get my 81' to run right. I synched the carbs but it just won't run crisp! Off idle is crap. How can I determin a bad fuel pump? I have checked timing and with T1 the "up" is up on the cam wheels and the marks are on. What gives?????????????? :head bang:

Can you describe better the problem, like does it seem to be missing as in not getting a steady spark or is it more like not getting enough fuel? It could also be getting too much fuel and running too rich.
Flat intake runner O rings can leak vacuum. Were they replaced?
What do the spark plugs look like after a ride?
Compression is good? Should see at least 120 lbs and even on all cylinders.

The fuel pump can be tested for pressure and flow.
Pressure should be pretty steady at about 2 lbs.
Flow should be steady pulses at idle.

Now that you mention it, I'm leaning towards ignition related. How does one check the vacuum advance unit while still on bike. I'm headed out right now to pull the faux tank and check coils and igniters for cracks.

Ok, I pulled the hose off #3 carb a sucked in and I can hear the thing moving and it holds a vacuum. I'm thinking it could be something to do with the pulse generator. Maybe the bolt backed out like has happened to some on the forum. The only way to remove this is by taking the rear swing arm off right?

What spark plugs should I be running? I have DPR8EA9's installed. Could the resistor plugs be causing my problems?

I have doubts there is anything wrong with the pulse generators since it is running.

There are many things can cause poor running both ignition and fuel related, that is why I asked for more details and suggested the other things to check first before going in any further.

I think I found my problem. When ohming out the pulse generator wires I get 560 ohms from the white to yellow and nothing from the blue to white/blue wire. I wiggled the wire where it goes into the generator and viola I get some readings on the meter but comes and goes so I have a problem with the wiring inside. Looks Like i'm headed back out in the heat to remove the rear swing arm. GGGGRRRRRR :rant:

Ok, just got done fixing the wing. The wires were broken inside the pulse generator, how I have no idea but i put some heat shrink on the wire twisted them together and soldered em. She purrrrrrssssss like a kitten now folks! No missing and back firing through the exhaust. Whoo Hoo :beer: :beer: :beer:

Fitz2at":itgoinzm said:
Ok, just got done fixing the wing. The wires were broken inside the pulse generator, how I have no idea but i put some heat shrink on the wire twisted them together and soldered em. She purrrrrrssssss like a kitten now folks! No missing and back firing through the exhaust. Whoo Hoo :beer: :beer: :beer:

Good job Fitz

Is it my imagination or have we been having alot of sparkers fail lately? Didn't the same thing happen last week ?

Ok, so I took the wing out for a test run and it still isn't right. I can totally hear the cam chain from idle/take off! So, I bought one of these 90 deg screw drivers off ebay to try and tune the air screws but guess what? The only one getting screwed is me because it does not fit under the carb even after trying to modify it. But, I have a trick up my sleeve on how to adjust those pesky air screws and will post pic's later.

:salute:

IMGP4481.jpg

toytender01":f5gw6rp9 said:
I bought one of those and it works great :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :popcorn:
I call BS! The one I received is to long to fit under the carbs. When did you buy yours? Maybe they changed the design.

Ok, gents here's the latest. I was able to pull all four air screws and modify them so that they are easier to turn/tune. Drilled and tapped the air screws to accept the M2.5 "T" screws and loctited them in place. I started at 1 1/4 out but the off idle stumble is present so I started to work my way out to 2 1/2 and it still stumbles off idle and I can hear the cam chain. I installed new plugs, NGK plug caps, and wires as well. Does anyone else remember what there air screws are set at?
IMGP4482.jpg
IMGP4483.jpg
IMGP4485.jpg

Fitz

Latest posts