Recommended source for OEM parts

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenrichs78

Reaction score
Ok, so I got the old girl home in the garage. Some of you may have seen my post in the new member section. I just acquired a 77 faired basket case. :builder: I have already found that I will certainly need some new parts as some are just missing. I can see right off the bat that I will need throttle and clutch cables, a float/sender for the fuel tank.
Just wondering what you all have found for the best place to acquire these replacement parts? I am online all day for work :laptop: so shopping online is easy enough. Can most be acquired from a Honda dealer?
Also wondering about exhaust. I have the 2-1 manifolds but the slip-ons that came with it are not going back on. They are gutted so they are just straight pipes. I don't care for that. I do not have the collector that goes under the bike so I am looking for options to connect directly to the manifolds that won't be straight pipes.

This will be a great ongoing winter project so I am sure I will be back with lots of questions as I go along. It has been quite a few years since I have done a basket case. Really excited for this one.

:thanks:

ebay is good for used parts and to look at to get ideas ... hust have to go hunting for what you need ...good hunting... bikes pics you like to acquire the end result ...im sure it will change after hunting awhile its always dose for me

Hmm sounds like finding parts may get to be an adventure of its own. I know I need a fuel unit because the one I have is pretty solid rust since they didn't wrap it up when they took it out of the tank. neither of the sources brianinpa recommended have one. I am going to have fun with this build.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94063#p94063:30r876zv said:
phenrichs78 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 am[/url]":30r876zv]
Hmm sounds like finding parts may get to be an adventure of its own. I know I need a fuel unit because the one I have is pretty solid rust since they didn't wrap it up when they took it out of the tank. neither of the sources brianinpa recommended have one. I am going to have fun with this build.

I have a 77 that the title turned up bad on, so I might have a fuel unit. Let me make sure when I get home tonight.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94067#p94067:1vk3bnib said:
joedrum » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 am[/url]":1vk3bnib]
rust cleans get it in something that will start being good for it ...nothing to harsh atf and diesel or something like that and let it soak
Hmm, good point. I will try that. thanks

Try Cyclepsyhco.com, I have not done business with them so I cant vouch for their aptitude.
They do seem to specialize in early Wings.
Bikebandit has a good "fiche" feature that lets you find the part by physical location and magnify the image.
Good Luck

I just finished getting one running( see my album). I was able to clean up the very rusty sending unit and tank. Do a bit of cleaning of the wiper and coil and it will work fine.

Tim

Ref your comment about exhaust pipes. Good Harley OEM mufflers can often be had from your local Harley dealer because the stock Harley mufflers are too quiet for most Harley riders. I have seen sets advertised for $50 on Craig's list in St Louis. The Harley chrome clamps are a little pricey ($8), but they certainly look nice.

Not using a balance (cross-over) pipe between the two mufflers will change the exhaust note, but I don't think it will harm the engine. Other users probably have more experience than me on this issue.

Tom

I just retired from Team Motorsports in Green Bay, Wi. You could call my son Jeremy for parts. I will see what they can do as a forum discount. No promises but its a real store with real employees. You will get excellent service (even though I'm not there anymore...lol).

920 area code 9838326 just ask for Jeremy in PARTS (not service) and tell him you are from his dad's forum.
If you have part numbers thats even better.

My friend owns a huge salvage/eBay business. You can find his parts on eBay under https://stores.ebay.com/mistercsmotorcycles

Thanks all. Haven't been on for quite some time. Bike got moved to storage as we are moving. It was going to be my winter project but getting my house sold and buying a new one seems to be the new winter project. Will keep y'all posted when I finally get her back into a garage.

Latest posts