Road King Mufflers on the 1980 GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumunga

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, got 'em on. Had my friend Jim come over and do the welding for me...I didn't have a clue! My welds looked like bird poop.

I took some pictures of the brackets on the right side while we were cutting and welding. I used the stainless flex pipe, and a couple of exhaust pipe adapters, to connect the mufflers to the headers. I thought I would take them off later to have a muffler shop make me some pipes, but after looking at them, I like the way they look. I believe they'll stay.

The bike fired right up after sitting since November. Sounded pretty sweet in the garage. I would have taken it for a ride, but I don't have the foot pegs on the bike right now. Oh, and I had to pull the center stand off the bike. I couldn't figure out a way for those pipes to fit with the headers I used.

I put a video of the bike on youtube. It's short and sweet. There's a little steam coming from the pipes in the video. I believe it's the gas that's been sitting in the tank. The link is below the pics.

Here are the pics:

The fabricated bracket welded to the saddle bag rack:
GL1100RdKngMfflrs.JPG

Bracket from underneath:
GL1100RdKngMfflrs (2).JPG

Bracket rear view:
GL1100RdKngMfflrs (3).JPG

Bracket with muffler attached:
GL1100RdKngMfflrs (8).JPG

Bracket with muffler attached rear view:
GL1100RdKngMfflrs (9).JPG

Muffler with stainless flex pipe attached:
GL1100RdKngMfflrs (11).JPG

Muffler with saddle bag attached:
GL1100RdKngMfflrs (14).JPG

Rear view of both mufflers. They look uneven from this angle because the bike was leaning on the lift a little, but they're good to go:
GL1100RdKngMfflrs (17).JPG

...and here's the video:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rWreu1XvT8[/video]

Eric cool Job :clapping: !!! Those are the ones I run on my bike and Love it!! Good Job :good: !! Later :hi: Bob

scdmarx":m00ruwbp said:
Good job. Looks great! Louder than what I want, though.

Just wondering/looking for tips - where you welded the brackets, how do you prevent rust at the welds?

Shoot, I don't know. I thought I would sand them a bit, and brush on some black Rustoleum to see what happens.

Latest posts