SaddleSore 1000 Saturday, June 26

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumunga

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, me, the backrest, and the bike are heading out tomorrow morning on a SaddleSore 1000. Gonna leave Pittsboro, head to Nashville, then Memphis, up to St. Louis, then back to Pittsboro. About 1050 miles.

I'm going to try to use a GPS tracker and have live tracking on the internet. It's worked before on short rides, so we'll see what happens.

If you want to keep track of the ride (if the thing works) go to https://www.crossingways.com, and look for user name "tumunga". If it won't let you look because you're not a member, just take a minute to sign up...it's free of course, and not a scam, and check out our progress.

Wish us good luck you all! It better not rain on my dumb ass!!

Have a safe ride, Eric! :good: What's a little rain, anyway? It's just water... :Doh2:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I got wet on the ride home this evening...dammit.... :fiddle:

Have fun, and take plenty o pics! :yes:

Well, we made it! 20.5 hours with 1 hour breaks in West Memphis and Pocahantas, IL (hometown of Gretchen Wilson) and a little detour just east of Jackson, TN. 1069 miles. We left at 3:00am, and got back about 11:30pm.

My official picture taker was too hot to work the camera. I bet most of the ride was in the high 90's, and we were sweating like stuck pigs. I think she got a couple while riding, but I'm not sure. I'll have to check the camera when I get off work today. She's been told to write up what we did so I can post it. I hope she was taking notes.

There was a light rain in West Memphis, but other than that, no rain at all. We did see a bunch of storms forming to the south of us in Eastern Illinois. They didn't make it to us, although as hot as we were, we would have appreciated a nice, cool soaking.

I will tell you one thing...sheepskin on the seat. I'll swear by it now. No need for fancy air bladders, emu skin, gel packs, or padded underwear. 18.5 hours in the saddle, and other than a little 47 year old stiffness, I wouldn't know I had been on the bike that long.

The live tracking cut out on me right about the half way point in the ride, but the GPS kept recording the ride. The phone has to connect to the internet to send up the data, and I think once I got out in Tennessee, the internet connection wasn't too reliable. Also, I had it updating once a minute. That might have jammed it up with the bad i-net connection, and buffered too many updates. Oh well, it worked for a bit anyway.

I think I wore the ol' bike out a bit, but I guess it was time to do some wrenching on it anyway. It's running fine at speed, but sounds like it's dieseling when it's at idle.

Glad ya made it home safe and sound, Eric!! :clapping: :clapping: That's a hard ride in one day, fer sher!
Time for a nap now, eh? :lazy:

that must have been fun ....i dont mind taking trips like that or maybe by the time i leave on one its the only option left is to get there with no messing around ....
sheep skin been on my list for a long time but it keeps getting pushed back ....i want one bad ...

mcgovern61":3tt32hqx said:
tumunga":3tt32hqx said:
dan filipi":3tt32hqx said:
Saddlesore is right, That kind of time is difficult even in a car!

So sheepskin is the hot ticket eh?
Where did you get yours?

I bought the thing at Sam's Club earlier this year for about $22. I have pictures of it in this post:

https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=7781#p7781
I have been to all of our local Sam's Clubs here in NJ and they do not carry any sheep skin. :cry: :beg:

I bought it earlier in the year, so they might run through their inventory. We found it in the section where they had the throw rugs, and bathroom rugs. It was labeled as a sheepskin rug.

I think it was meant to throw on the bedroom floor to use to diddle your boyfriend/girlfriend without getting any rug burns....

tumunga":152xxn0n said:
I bought it earlier in the year, so they might run through their inventory. We found it in the section where they had the throw rugs, and bathroom rugs. It was labeled as a sheepskin rug.

That is what I thought. I did check those areas too. I will just keep checking, you never know what is going to show up at Sam's Club.

mcgovern61":32hzun7f said:
tumunga":32hzun7f said:

That is what I thought. I did check those areas too. I will just keep checking, you never know what is going to show up at Sam's Club.

I've seen them on ebay for $70 or $80 bucks. There's a thread here called "seatery" which might have some links in it to some sheepskin.

Latest posts