sand blast chrome to get paint to stick

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuna boy

Reaction score
My wing has some chrome aftermarket parts that are starting to Pitt and look rough. I would like to buff the aluminum base material back to a luster but the chrome would have to be removed first. I was told that to have the old chrome removed is as expensive as having new chrome put on. Can't afford that. I was looking at a you tube site about sandblasting. They claimed that sandblasting a chrome car bumper allowed you to paint the bumper and that the paint would stick. Is that true? It might be an option for me.

Chrome is much harder than aluminum so if the item is aluminum with peeling chrome. The chrome will take much longer to blast away than any exposed aluminum. If it's over steel yes blast away.

I don't intend to blast chrome off aluminum just ruff it up enough to get paint to stick on top of the chrome .
Parts like intake manifolds and valve covers.

You should be good then. I think most of not all chromed valve covers are thinner steel and not aluminum. I've read where some have had difficulty getting them to seal. So be prepared if that becomes an issue.