speedo bounce?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone had success getting a speedo needle to quit 'bouncing'?

I was able to fix the tach by using graphite lubricant on the cable, did the same on the speedo but doesn't seem to want to take. It's a little better and holds steady at highway speed but lower down it's a nightmare.

For what it would cost to replace the stock gauges with a decent set I would just replace the whole cluster with a dakota digital system, but, I'd rather keep it stock for historical purposes, so any tips ?

Had an awesome ride today, rebuild the starter tomorrow, this bike is a mechanic's school all in itself, thank god this forum exists to get access to the good teachers.

The 'bounce' you're experiencing is (more than likely) your speedo cable. Even though you've lubed the interior cable, the interior of the cable housing may be worn. Before you consider buying used OEM replacement or aftermarket gauges, invest in a new cable. This may fix the problem and you'll ony have to spend a few bucks. Next, I'd check the box assembly for wear and proper operation. Make sure that your cable is fitting into it correctly with no wear to either the cable end or drive tab of the assembly.

Thanks Placerville, I will go the cable route first.

Your bike is a looker man, I know a guy who has a totally original and beautifully maintained/restored Sulphr Yellow 76. At first I couldn't stand the color but it really is something special once you know what you're looking at.

Also check how the cable is routed. Any sharp bends will cause binding. Straightening it a little may fix it.

You also need to lube the bushing in the speedo head, where the cable goes in. If it's dry, it can bind the cable drive, and the needle will bounce. If the bushings is worn, there's no replacement that I am aware of, so the only solution is to replace the head/gauge....

chrisbags":w25ivu7i said:
Thanks Placerville, I will go the cable route first.

Your bike is a looker man, I know a guy who has a totally original and beautifully maintained/restored Sulphr Yellow 76. At first I couldn't stand the color but it really is something special once you know what you're looking at.
Thank you. The color does seem to grow on you.

wow funny that you are bring this up, I just took 1600, mile trip home to KC and back here to SA tex. and on my way there the speedo was bouncing as discribed, it would bounce then stop then bounce again, kinda acting all silly asnd such, I wasn't too concerned with it and actually didn't fudge with it at all, On my return trip for some reason or another the freakin thing straightened up and acted right, no more bouncing for 800 miles home worked perfectly, weird, I'd say it's the cable connection somewhere or something..

AApple":1mucxiim said:
You also need to lube the bushing in the speedo head, where the cable goes in. If it's dry, it can bind the cable drive, and the needle will bounce. If the bushings is worn, there's no replacement that I am aware of, so the only solution is to replace the head/gauge....

There is a guy who does rebuild speedos... about 425 or so... haven't used him but he says he can resto them.. I'll see if I can find his info again.

Sometimes if you pull off the speedo head and and turn it upside down and put some oil in the hole the speedo cable goes into that will stop it.
I had the same issue over 10,000 miles ago and still no bounce.

Latest posts