Starter gremlins

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortiki

Reaction score
Trixie has a problem that defies troubleshooting in books. When I push switch it may click or growl or drag or start and each time I push button it will progress between all of them till either battery dies or starts. It usually starts off clicks then sounds like starter turns one time and locks up, as soon as I release and hit again it goes around again then binds. then it will grawl at me and then drag a few times and sometimes sounds normal and starts. Later today I am going to replace VOM cause ac test showed either 565VAC or 56.5VAC on all 3 sets. Builtin meter shows 13v at idle +/_ .5 and 13.5 at 1500 and 13.0 at 3000. Voltage at battery shows 13.2 max at idle. I hope problem is wiring or solenoid cause voyage kit is all in the way and keeps her from leaning. Any tips or advice would be appreciated greatly.

mortiki":1lg4jfwf said:
I hope problem is wiring or solenoid cause voyage kit is all in the way and keeps her from leaning.

I assume your concern is the starter chain not lining up to the starter to install it?
Could pack some grease to the right side of the chain and gear to keep it held center, that or block up right side of the bike.

Check voltage at the starter when cranking. Should be at least 10 volts.
Check cabling connections are clean and tight, don't forget the ground behind the left engine mount.

Boiling it down to a few items. Today recharged battery and when installed it turned over once and stopped. Sounded like locked up, like always so I started looking at wiring and found dog bone bowed and brittle. Replaced it with spare and it cracked while installing(just as old and exposed as original one) so I installed a bypass blade type. Got power back on and tried it but now only clicks and lights dim. I got a jumper cable and run from Bella's battery(swapped over and grounded to Trixie) to starter lug and nothing happened. I got VOM out and checked lug for voltage. When I connected positive and pushed start button lug read 12.4, same as battery and solenoid clicked but starter did nothing at all but lights dimmed. Good idea to prop right wheel on car ramp to simulate side stand.

All of the symptoms you describe tell me your battery is dead, you have been keeping it on life surport but it's dead, get new one. Your starter needs new brushes, you could also do the seals and bearings but a good cleanout and new brushes will do. I had never heard about any problems with losing the chain and sprocket, really I didn't know what was in there till I removed mine, easiest thing I've ever done to a bike on the side of the road :cool:

Well got new VOM but since Trixie will not start thats moot. Bypassing solenoid did nothing as did jumpers. Lights all work but no starter. Ordered starter kit and will have it this weekend. By then I have to drop voyager kit and solo Trixie since voyager attachment is in way of my big head. Only 2 bolts and replace side stand so no big deal. Lots of good instructions and advice on here so should be a snap. Yes I will take pics and post em. Thanx for the help all. After that I have to fix Bella since I hit a mud hole bad and broke fork seals. They arrived today but Trixie is more pressing. When wife ain't happy ain't NOBODY happy:).

Well, got rebuild kit off eBay for $28 shipped and soloed Trixie. Took starter off and first thing out of the bag the three screws in body was locked shut and had to cut them off. Did bench test prior to dis and while it spun it sounded like crap. All kinds of noise and clanging. Opened her up and one brush was cocked up in back and none of that brush was even touching. I did a complete rework, bearings and all. The electrical end had hunks of crud like melted solder in it and what looks like splattered solder in end cap. I could not repack the bearings since new kit has sealed bearings but just as well since it is only short temp duty motor. I did a makeshift bench test holding end caps on by hand and it sounds tight but quiet. Lots of torque and fast but turning it by hand is hard. I pretty well got the knack down on disassemble and assembly so if something is wrong it will be snap to fix. BTW I looked in my Clymer 75 to 83 and the 1000 section does not say to remove engine but 1100 section does. I have Trixie on her side stand but sprocket is hanging to inside but that will not be a problem. When I get Trixie fixed I will leave her solo while I do Bella's forks so wife wont have excuse to take her. Only thing is that with adapter still on I only have 2 inches of ground clearance.

Still cannot find starter bolts for it. My measurements shows it to be a 5x115mm but even fastenal only carries a 5x100mm .8 bolts. seems even eBay does not sell them so I might have to get an old starter for parts.

hang in there the muds thick but you will get it ......im having trouble to on getting stuff i need and it seems like little stuff but its got me stoped right now.....but it will get better for both of us im sure.....joe

dan filipi":1c34p7gk said:
Have you tried starter and alternator rebuild shops?

A what? hahaha I live out past bumville egypt:) Even the local cops fix their own patrol cars here.

joedrum":1c34p7gk said:
hang in there the muds thick but you will get it ......im having trouble to on getting stuff i need and it seems like little stuff but its got me stoped right now.....but it will get better for both of us im sure.....joe

No worries. Why I have 6 bikes and 3 trucks. Something is always in the works, if not I go get another one.

finally found some. Well did not find, am having them made by a machine shop 50 miles away. They wont cost any more than what bikebandits and cycle parts would charge for originals but I am having them made with allen heads so I can use proper torque(never had a torque reading on a screwdriver so would not know if I was close or over). I do tend to break things by hand so I got an inch/pound wrench. 3.6 ft/lbs is pretty small. I know the old ones was tightened more than that cause I broke tip on Phillips bit trying to get them off. I know these heads are hidden from view but I like the idea of allen over phillips anyway.

Finally got bolts and put it back together. Stripped the bottom bolt mounting it but tested starter before putting bike together. With kill switch off and using her old battery it sounded like a new bike turning over. late this winter I will pull Trixie apart and retap bottom starter hole. That slotted hole guide on starter is a pain but I guess it allows both 1000 and 1100 starters to be mounted on either motor. Overall a not unpleasant experience and a good lesson. Thanx for all the help and keep it up.

mortiki":jag8l0m5 said:
No worries. Why I have 6 bikes and 3 trucks. Something is always in the works, if not I go get another one.

If your home is mobile and you own 3 cars that aint, you might be a redneck :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts