Starter just spins on 1984 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gashog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new(old) 1984 Goldwing1200i. Paid $600 for it. It seem to be in excellent shape for the age with only 40k miles on it. The starter just spins when you hit the button. It spins fast. Has a new battery in it. All the lights and radio work. The previous owner said he put some seafoam in the oil, but you can't start it to mix it up. I am going to build a starter to drive the back wheel to try and get it started. I would push it but I have no help and I live out in the sticks. Is it possible for the motor to spin and not drive the reduction output shaft and not be turning the starter clutch?

Attachments

• P9010836.JPG
    P9010836.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 181
Is it possible for the motor to spin and not drive the reduction output shaft and not be turning the starter clutch?
No.

Most of the time, the starter clutch does not engage either because it is rusty or the oil is too thick.

The starter clutch may be stuck...the seafoam would certainly help with that, but...you do need to run it for that to work! Some of the guys have had good luck just changing the engine oil when the clutch sticks like that.
It's also possible the starter drive gear splines have stripped, tho it's not a common problem...assuming the starter is properly engaged into the gear to begin with. Did the PO say anything about the starter being replaced, or worked on before?

Congrats on the new ride, anyway, and Welcome to the CGW Forums!! :clapping:

Was just hoping I could get lucky. I guess no real need to pull the starter out, just need to get it started and mix up the oil and seafoam. PO didn't work on the starter. The bike sat up for about a year during his moving and did this when he tried to start it afterwards.

You could try to put the bike up on the centerstand, plugs out, put the bike in gear and rotate the back tire which will rotate the engine a bit. Plugs back in and try the starter again.

Unfortunately, very little engine oil makes its way to the starter clutch, so don't expect immediate results. The 1200 engine does have better oil flow to the alternator shaft, so hopefully enough will get to the clutch to loosen things up.

I am going to build something like this to get it started since I can't call someone to help all the time. Would be a good thing to have around. I already have a lot of the parts in my junkbox.

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 152
Maybe a piece of rope tied to the wife's car... :smilie_happy: :moped:

It might be the po put in car oil with the "enhanced lubricity" additives which will do that and mess up the clutch. if you have a slight hill that can start it if it runs right. Doesn't take much of a roll to start mine. But it is a chore to push it back if it fails to start.

Haha! I am in Florida and it's hard to find a hill. We do have sort of a mountain though. The highest point in the state is 347 feet above sea level. May have to adjust the carbs for altitude before it will start there!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130278#p130278:32m6czwn said:
Steve83 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:39 pm[/url]":32m6czwn]
If the bike's been sitting over a year, it'll probably take some cranking before it'll start. Not fun pushing! Your electric wheel spinner should work great!

Don't you like my tow rope idea? :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130281#p130281:98tziblj said:
Gashog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:02 pm[/url]":98tziblj]
No wife to drive the tow car. She drove off 35 years ago to pick up a loaf of bread.
:doh:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130281#p130281:2i6jwqup said:
Gashog » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:02 pm[/url]":2i6jwqup]
No wife to drive the tow car. She drove off 35 years ago to pick up a loaf of bread.

Sometimes that could be a good thing. :smilie_happy:

Latest posts