Starter Solenoid - Fuse and Relay

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
5 years ago, my original starter solenoid failed and the bike would not start. It was the original with the dog bone fuse. I bought one of the cheapie replacements on Ebay for $9.00 that replaced the dog bone fuse with a regular ATC fuse (30 amp).

image.php

It worked fine until last week. Hit the starter button, nothing, not even a dim of the headlight. Checked the starter button and it is working. Pulled the solenoid and found a way to open it. RUSTED!!! I tried cleaning it but it was past it's useful life.

Bought another from Amazon for $7.99 and decided to try and prevent water from getting in. DIELECTRIC grease man! (Lets see water get in this time!) :hihihi:

image.php

I thought we'd all agreed it was called a thingamajig. :BigGrin:

But anyway, I've had one on my bike for about 6 years now and it has never messed up, but that could be because down here in the south it never rains, it just pours, and when it does you know its coming 50 miles away, so I just avoid it.

Hence, no rust.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211403#p211403:52mmg0qi said:
chilidawg » 25 Jul 2019, 21:09[/url]":52mmg0qi]
I thought we'd all agreed it was called a thingamajig. :BigGrin:

But anyway, I've had one on my bike for about 6 years now and it has never messed up, but that could be because down here in the south it never rains, it just pours, and when it does you know its coming 50 miles away, so I just avoid it.

Hence, no rust.

I wish it was that easy to dodge a thunder-cell here in the mountains, lol! I got caught smack between 2 really big ones this past Sunday, both going the same direction. I outran the one behind me, but caught the tail end of the one in front of me. Since I don't ride a Hardly Ableson, I did NOT duck for cover under any bridges. My GL1100 handles just fine in the rain, and I just keep my distance from the "pack" cars & trucks that are making a rolling fog-bank they can't see out of, lol!

Latest posts