Starting troubles

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hondaman

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some help.
I have a 1980 GL1100 that I've owned for 16 years. I tried starting it for the first time this season,
and the starter had a hard time keeping the engine spinning. After a while the battery wore down, and the starter relay
was only clicking and not spinning the starter. I got the engine running by bump starting in second gear. The engine warmed up, and I turned it off. When I went to restart with the starter, I only get clicking from the relay.
I charged the 1 year old battery fully, swapped out several relays, even a OEM one and still clicking from the relay, no starter response. I touched a probe to each side of the 30 amp fuse, power, 3 of the 4 wires in the relay plug, power, and the starter post when I push the starter button, power. Is the engine block the ground for the starter?
All other accessories work, lights, etc. but the starter just won't kick in. I did spin the motor over with socket wrench on the back of the motor to make sure it was not seized. The starter handlebar switch is OEM 2 years old. I replaced that when I had no headlight.
What am I missing here? Any help appreciated.

Try jumping the starter directly with jumper cables, grounded to the engine or frame. It sounds like your starter might need some work, or you might simply have a bad or dirty cable connection.

Solenoid might be gone.. .. mine did that and I borrowed the 1100's solenoid.. and mine kicked right over.. you may want to swap in another solenoid.. just long enough to test the system .. just thinking the 83's 750 solenoid should fit.. but just trying the thought jogging process..

I have the same bike with the same story only I have had mine for 30 years. My CDI ignition boxes failed. Bought a new used set of EBay for I think $50.