Steering damper for 1980 gl1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpwinger

Reaction score
Looking for a steering damper for 1980 gl1100. Sidecar is a califorina friendship I think. Don't know where to look for the hardware I need. I have a vetter faring with lowers. I have the slow speed wobbles. They are not too bad. Not real sure of set up. I have read about seting up side car on line. But it is strange to me don't know when to stop. Could use advice.

Hi JP...I use a VW damper attached on the bike end to a fender mount and the hack end to a tab I welded onto the front top mounting strut....
I will be in Quartzsite AZ for a week or so but once I get back home I can take some photos for you...
Brian

Thanks Brian all info will help. I have seen pic's that have bracket on fork. Hopeing to find vender for it and some thing for brace to sidecar.

Hi JP.....

Here are a couple sources with photos of parts I used....the size of the heim joint needs to be figured out...I am just giving an example.

https://www.alpinesandtoys.com/VW-Steeri ... 425021113C

This VW damper just needs a tab welded onto the front top strut, a hole drilled and the l-shaped end slips in and bolts up.

https://tinyurl.com/6vjasv7

I drilled three holes in a piece of steel strap about 3/4" by 2" and bolted the strip onto the right side fender mounts on the fork slider....I left the end of the strap stick out to the rear and slipped a heim joint through the hole with a nut on the back....very simple and works great....you need to make sure the damper will let you go from steering stop to stop.

Brian

Thanks Brain I looked fork & strut today.. I see what you mean about the travel from stop to stop . How much travel in vw damper do I need. Is there a certain vw damper that I need. Oh, I live in Elwood In. about 50 miles north of Indy. So I could get parts when I,m in Indy. Also how much different is the steering with damper does it steer a lot harder. Just thinking don't need to worry about laying bike down this winter LOL.

I bought my first damper from Jay Geise at Dauntless Motor company so I got the right one but I believe mine is identical to the one in the link I sent you. I hit a pothole so hard once that i broke the first damper near the 'L' bend and so went to an Import car parts place and just bought another. When I bought the first one from Jay I got a kit that had the heim joint and damper as well as a piece of strap to weld to the strut with it. You can always email or call him and ask anything I am not explaining very well. He is quite helpful.

https://www.dmcsidecars.com/

I don't notice it steering much harder with the damper on it...it cured the wobble very well. I welded up the broken damper and carry it in my trunk as a spare so I don't have to be without one...I like it that much....
I also have a Steerite triple tree conversion to aid in the ease of steering. I REALLY like that....

https://www.sidecars.ca/#!steerite

Have fun...you are right about not laying the bike down...those days are over !
Brian

Brian I have some old gl1000 perchs in basement will take a look at them tomorrow thanks a lot might be able to make something the price is just right .

Hey bk2valve, when Steerite did your steering, did they modify your trees or make new ones? Did you go with longer fork trees and what was the approximate cost? My steering isn't too bad, but lighter would be nicer.

Thanks

HI guys.....
Cool on the perches....I guess it would depend on the thickness of your forward strut as well...good luck on that JP.

Greybeard...
I bought a good used set of trees from a salvage yard and sent those to Peter so I could keep my stock set in case I ever want to put the bike back to solo riding.

If I was home I could look up the receipts but I am thinking it was about $500 all together. That was about 10 years ago though amigo...it will be more now. I know that DMC and Peter at Side Effects have other options to reduce the trail and there may be something cheaper. It was worth every penny for me though since I have spinal nerve damage that has made my arms muscles degenerate. If you do some research about that you may find something that suits you better...even longer handle bars and/or bar-backs can give you more leverage for turning...
Brian

Latest posts