Techno wizards HELP!!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fysty-1

Reaction score
I have been a little frustrated when it comes to some of the technology today. Also Frustrated with Dell & my wireless service provider. I bought a Dell Streak5 that was locked to Rogers, a little over a year ago & was able to switch from the Blackberry to the Streak5. At the time Rogers didn't offer the Dell but now they do but they say because I bought the phone directly from Dell(@ double what Rogers wants for it), then it is up to them to upgrade the OS. Unfortunately due to the fack that I have done a fully default on my Dell account (not just the phone by the way), they won't do anything for me either. I know that if I want to increase the OS of my computer, I just take it to a computer store & they will upgrade to the higher model (for a price of course). Does anyone out there know how I can upgrade to gingerbread or ice cream Android on my own? I presently have Fryoto 2.2.1. Dani's phone (which we just got) was updated to 2.3.4 less than 2 weeks after we got it. It is beginning to look like I may be stuck with a 600 dollar phone that is massively outdated & I really do love this big phone. Here is a link to familiarize you with my phone if ya don't know about it. (https://www.rogers.com/web/link/wireless ... QgodnTwxmw)

Thanks all for your help in advance. Angela aka fysty-1

I'm not real clear on what the problem is Angela.
I know a bit about computers and phones, have an Android myself. Are you having trouble connecting the Streak to the internet through rogers?
There are ways to hack these things and make them work, just need more details.

dan filipi":ja76nbdb said:
I'm not real clear on what the problem is Angela.
I know a bit about computers and phones, have an Android myself. Are you having trouble connecting the Streak to the internet through rogers?
There are ways to hack these things and make them work, just need more details.

No Dan no problem. I just want to upgrase the operating system. Dani's new experia arc was just upgraded to 2.3.4 just 2 weeks after we got it but my streak is still stuck on 2.2.1 after having it for a little bit better than a year. Because I bought it directly from Dell Rogers won't do the upgrades & because I defaulted Dell finacial for a bunch, they seem to have red flagged me as I can't even get on the Dell chat anymore. My fault but I would like to upgrade even if I have to pay for it myself.

Hmm,
With phones anyway, the manufacture develops the update along with the service provider then "pushes" the update to the device.
Sometimes an update can be done with a hack without the push from either the manufacturer or the ISP but you should know there's always the possibility the update going bad and making the device a door stop and it almost certainly voids all warranty.
I'll check into it a bit.

A bit late maybe BUT if it was me I'd look in the XDA Forums, fairly noob friendly and lots of good advice for all types of phones/tablets.
Dell Streak5 subforum

Took a quick look and with a bit of reading just about anyone should be able to update your Streak to 2.3 and maybe if I read the Wiki right up to ICS (android 4). Not a simple job by any means but not all that hard either just time consuming with setting up all the software needed to Root/Flash and make sure it actually works BEFORE you Root or Flash.

Last comment, backups are a GOOD thing. Backup after each step. Do it in easy Stages: Root, Backup, Verify Root is active and working (including BusyBox). Test it out for a few hours/days THEN verify your backups are still up to date BEFORE you Flash the new ROM.

Flinx":1xycagp9 said:
A bit late maybe BUT if it was me I'd look in the XDA Forums, fairly noob friendly and lots of good advice for all types of phones/tablets.
Dell Streak5 subforum

Took a quick look and with a bit of reading just about anyone should be able to update your Streak to 2.3 and maybe if I read the Wiki right up to ICS (android 4). Not a simple job by any means but not all that hard either just time consuming with setting up all the software needed to Root/Flash and make sure it actually works BEFORE you Root or Flash.

Last comment, backups are a GOOD thing. Backup after each step. Do it in easy Stages: Root, Backup, Verify Root is active and working (including BusyBox). Test it out for a few hours/days THEN verify your backups are still up to date BEFORE you Flash the new ROM.
Thanks Finx, but I have already been on there & your are right. Nobody there would help me. Said it was up to me to do the research on their forums and figure it out. Well there are a bunch of tutorials but they might as well be written in Mandrine for all could understand. So how's the weather in one of my favorite Ontairio cities? Lived over on Trafagar in 84 for about a year then moved to TO. Spent the next 15 years there, before coming back to the coast. Thanks for the response tho'. Angela aka fysty-1 :yahoo:

fysty-1":14t9d0nu said:
Flinx":14t9d0nu said:
Dell Streak5 subforum

Thanks Finx, but I have already been on there & your are right. Nobody there would help me. Said it was up to me to do the research on their forums and figure it out. Well there are a bunch of tutorials but they might as well be written in Mandrine for all could understand. So how's the weather in one of my favorite Ontairio cities? Lived over on Trafagar in 84 for about a year then moved to TO. Spent the next 15 years there, before coming back to the coast. Thanks for the response tho'. Angela aka fysty-1 :yahoo:

A bit too cold today for me, just -20c. Small world I lived on trafalgar for a year or so just before I gave Vancouver BC a try, nice city but way way too expensive to live in so I moved back to London. Even Toronto was cheaper to live in then Vancouver at that time. Surrey, isn't that a sort of suburb of Vancouver? OR is my memory just playing tricks on me again....

Yeah they do expect you to at least try and research but once you have they will answer specific questions ummm at least they do on the Sony Ericsson Arc sub-forum...
Pity your not still in London, I still have most of the software needed installed on my computer from rooting my Arc. About all I'd have to trace and install is the flash program and of course the ROM.

Oh an just for the record as a computer tech/geek I detest DELL with a passion, their customer service is almost the absolute worst on the market even MicroSoft has better Tech support.

having worked with a few iphones and a couple androids now I'd love the challenge of upgrading your phone. especially since I also detest Dell and that would give me a good chance to free you from there grip.
currently working on a fire, cleaning out some of the amazon stuff and restoring the android software.

as a computer tech I fix many different "brands" but Dell is on of the biggest wastes of space on my shelves (in and out bound)

I'm sorry to Flinx & jdegase, as I can' seen to get the quote to work on a multiple quote. Anyway Yeh I agree with you on the cost of living and it is still the same. I would have moved back long ago if it weren't for the fact that I can't take the heat any more. that's the reason I left in the first place. I hate winter & was sun bunny but when that went away that just left spring & fall & that's not enough for a diehard biker. I TO I rode even in the winter, just as long as there was no snae on the ground. I had a snowmobile suit that I wore over my leathers & a full face. Cheers :Egyptian:
JD, I wish I had that ability. I actually love my Streak But Dell won't apgrade because it is now out of date & my carrier won't for the same reason as well as the fact that I bought it out right from Dell & snuck it into my system although they still offer it. I also have an ARC but that is used by my partner. I have hers set up for texting & mine for data. She as 2 daughters that are in thier mid to low 20's so it is texting by them all the time. I just lost my puter bunts letters not operatingBye That was wierd. While I was typing I lost a bunch of letters including h's, so I figured I'd better get this sent. Went to another site & WTF it works!!!!?????? Anyway I guess I'll have to go door to door of the smaller computer repair depots to find one that will do it. I can wait for my carrier to do the upgrades to the Arc as we already have 2.3.3 Gingerbread so that lust leaves 4.0 ICS. Five won't be available for awile anyway. But if I can find someone to do the Streak up to 4.0ICS I would be very happy. Oh up until 20 minutes ago, I was very happy with my laptop as well but seems to be funtioning well now. Go figure but then it is a Dell as well. A Inspiron 17" Dual core. Anyway you all take care & thanks. Angela aka fysty-1 :thanks:

fysty-1":3r0hxkhg said:
I'm sorry to Flinx & jdegase, as I can' seen to get the quote to work on a multiple quote. Anyway Yeh I agree with you on the cost of living and it is still the same. I would have moved back long ago if it weren't for the fact that I can't take the heat any more. that's the reason I left in the first place. I hate winter & was sun bunny but when that went away that just left spring & fall & that's not enough for a diehard biker. I TO I rode even in the winter, just as long as there was no snae on the ground. I had a snowmobile suit that I wore over my leathers & a full face. Cheers :Egyptian:
JD, I wish I had that ability. I actually love my Streak But Dell won't apgrade because it is now out of date & my carrier won't for the same reason as well as the fact that I bought it out right from Dell & snuck it into my system although they still offer it. I also have an ARC but that is used by my partner. I have hers set up for texting & mine for data. She as 2 daughters that are in thier mid to low 20's so it is texting by them all the time. I just lost my puter bunts letters not operatingBye That was wierd. While I was typing I lost a bunch of letters including h's, so I figured I'd better get this sent. Went to another site & WTF it works!!!!?????? Anyway I guess I'll have to go door to door of the smaller computer repair depots to find one that will do it. I can wait for my carrier to do the upgrades to the Arc as we already have 2.3.3 Gingerbread so that lust leaves 4.0 ICS. Five won't be available for awile anyway. But if I can find someone to do the Streak up to 4.0ICS I would be very happy. Oh up until 20 minutes ago, I was very happy with my laptop as well but seems to be funtioning well now. Go figure but then it is a Dell as well. A Inspiron 17" Dual core. Anyway you all take care & thanks. Angela aka fysty-1 :thanks:

The Arc should be at 2.3.4 as that is the latest "upgrade" but theres not much point in worring over it as 2.3.3 is almost the same. Expect ICS in about 2 months or so as SE is still working on it themselves.
Dell's "Official" Android version for the Streak5 is 2.2.2 all others at this moment are actually Custom ROMs. The ICS Custom Rom is still in beta and not yet really ready for prime time, at least thats what I get from reading the threads. Lot of 2.3.4 custom Roms but without really researching each one it's hard to tell the differances or which one would be best for you BUT having said that look into one called DSC. It's a 2.3.4 based custom kernel rom and seems to be very popular, with the dev team activley updating and polishing it. If that looks like a good one to you then at least you will know what you want when you find a place to do the flash for you.
Just a thought, keep an eye on where the people who post live, you might find one close to you that would do the flash or know where to get it done....

Latest posts