Temp sender testing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianstaley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests is there a way to test the temp sender that is positioned just aft of the thermostat mine is just a single connection so I assume that that cable goes to the temp meter through the meter to earth? or looking at the wiring diagram there is a green wire circuit that feeds the metres (7V) but the sender has one wire in then grounds to earth through the thermostat housing. So I can only assume that the sender increases or decreases the resistance to alter the temp gauge. Any way to test with a multimeter?

Pretty sure that is right, should just need a multimeter set to ohms, i`m sure it will tell you if it is functioning, would set to 200K ohm or thereabouts...could also check while on the bike and running if you can reach in there.

If it's as you described (I don't know) you should be able to place unit in water (probe part), hook meter to wire connection & body, heat water & watch resistance change.
image.php

Wire with male bullet end is 12 volt,s in the green should be ground, other female is 7 volt's out to gauge. that checks the output to gauges. :headscratch: There's a test with water on a burner to open at a set temperature in the shop manual to test to see if it will turn the fan on. :builder:

Right so thanks all for the info (very helpful) so what I did was just to test if it was still functional. So set my multi meter to Oms, mine is auto setting, so check first with red lead on the single connector sticking out from the sensor, and held the black to the body, reading was open so no circuit ( I think) I am not en electrician, then held the sensor in some hot water about 55 deg C. and watched what happened, the reading went straight up to on the the meter 255 oms (thousand, hundreds ? ) and as it remained in the water it started a gentle but definite drop, almost like a countdown, very consistent in the drop about .5 Ohm? per second. So that would say to me that the resistance increases as the temp increases?

:salute: :thanks:

The readings for my 1200,=60c=104 ohms, 85c=44 ohms,110c=20 ohms,120c=16 ohms. Should be similar to your readings? :headscratch: Don't know, but check by heating oil, same as mentioned. :read:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160949#p160949:2ink4s4d said:
Denver » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:40 pm[/url]":2ink4s4d]
The readings for my 1200,=60c=104 ohms, 85c=44 ohms,110c=20 ohms,120c=16 ohms. Should be similar to your readings? :headscratch: Don't know, but check by heating oil, same as mentioned. :read:

Thanks need to do that on the bike, when it is finished probably about may next year with a bit of luck. Just before I visit my family in the South Dakota, Canton. Going to be there for two weeks then down towards St.Louis

Ian

Bringing your bike to ride? :shock: That would be as good a way as any to break it in. :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160977#p160977:31o7k42w said:
Denver » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:55 am[/url]":31o7k42w]
Bringing your bike to ride? :shock: That would be as good a way as any to break it in. :salute:

Might be tough trying to jam it in a suitcase. :hihihi:

I thought about bringing the bike, until I found out at 3 grand one way was a bit on the high side, and they couldn't or wouldn't give me a delivery date or where the bike was to be collected oh and no insurance on the bike either. Cheaper to buy one there and sell it on before I left.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160989#p160989:1itf0d4y said:
ianstaley » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:49 am[/url]":1itf0d4y]
I thought about bringing the bike, until I found out at 3 grand one way was a bit on the high side, and they couldn't or wouldn't give me a delivery date or where the bike was to be collected oh and no insurance on the bike either. Cheaper to buy one there and sell it on before I left.
+1 :good: except mine followed me home :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161003#p161003:1r3fo0m0 said:
joedrum » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:28 am[/url]":1r3fo0m0]
i think i remember it stay out at sea and partied awhile before meeting up with you at home tony
True Joe and even that didn't happen until after it was stuck in a shed in LA for 4 months :doh:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161025#p161025:2vd7359r said:
Denver » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:56 pm[/url]":2vd7359r]
Hope you have a good time, & find a good one! :yes:
Nothing set in stone other than the flights, Lis my wife won't sit on the back of a bike, so leaves me a big choice of transport, My sis has said I can use her pickup so I will have transport. :smilie_happy:

What does a collie dog, have in common with a Harley Davidson Motorcycle? :headscratch:

They both love to ride in the back,(bed) of a pick up truck's. :hihihi:

Enjoy your trip :salute:

Latest posts