Thinking about a trailer like this one

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmopars

Reaction score
I am thinking about building a trailer like this person has in their CL ad.
gmzs.jpg

I will be using the Harbor Freight trailer 40"x48" like this:
m9vf.jpg

I picked up 2 Contico boxes just like the ones in the first picture off a neighbor for $20 for both. I want to use this trailer for camping gear. What do you all think, will this make a good trailer?

Don't know why it wouldn't work, I use a frame just like it. When you build it make sure you pack those wheel bearings with some top grade grease cause they come with what looks like vaseline packed in them.

I used the trailer you are thinking about and I hae no problems. If you use that one take one of the springs off. Use a piece of rubber hose on the ends to keep it quiet. Look at my photo album to see my trailer.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99478#p99478:1ywarakx said:
BlueThunder » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 pm[/url]":1ywarakx]
Harbor Freight has this trailer that's ready to go.
image_23403.jpg

I built that exact same trailer and it is a GREAT camping trailer....
# lengthen the tongue 24" for better control #
# clean/regrease bearings with Mobil1 #
# remove all but main spring leaf #
# weatherstrip the lid for better waterproofing #

I have no issues with mine - I think I did a build thread with pictures here on this site...

Well, I got the Contico boxes for $10 each and a few weeks ago I got a used folding trailer for $50. So, I will have to shorten it to 4ft and replace the bearings, but I should be into it for a little over $100.

Well in that case you are ofc to a good start... you may want to rethink the shortening the extra space may come in handy if you need to haul something and your regular trailer if ya have one is not readily available... also can put a carrier basket on it for items to tie down or cover... or carry that that ice chest and over sized tent or propane cylinder..

I will think it over before I cut it. It may work fine as is. I did just get a truck, so I only need it for the bike now.

I would encourage you to lengthen the tongue, especially if it'll just be for bike usage. It's much more stable and any tendencies to wobble are gone......just sayin'.....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100163#p100163:1mbahyhg said:
KYWinger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:54 pm[/url]":1mbahyhg]
I would encourage you to lengthen the tongue, especially if it'll just be for bike usage. It's much more stable and any tendencies to wobble are gone......just sayin'.....

Yeah and will keep you from contacting the trailer in a tight turn....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99478#p99478:py9tokr5 said:
BlueThunder » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:20 pm[/url]":py9tokr5]
Harbor Freight has this trailer that's ready to go.
image_23403.jpg

image_23421.jpg

i was thinking the ad for that trailer stated a max of 55 mph for that trailer ?

That is the trailer that I have - I do not recall anything about a 55mph max on it.

I've pulled it all over the region at 70mph w/no problems BUT..I lengthened the tongue and changed the grease in the wheel bearings....

Get it, build it and go have fun :clapping:

I've been thinking about the HF small frame or maybe a small boat or jet ski trailer as a way to haul the Hunley (should the day ever come that she is finished) to shows. They have a rod/bike show every weekend somewhere nearby, and I thought that might be cool to go to. I would haul the Hunley behind the Black Pearl (my GL1800).

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts