Tow-Pac."removable trike"

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triwinger

Reaction score
Hello fellow riders,
My goal here was to make a Safe, functional, decent looking rig, as cheap as possible, using a Damaged 4x8 utillity trailer that was given to me. I have No Garage, or covered work area so I was at the mercy of the weather..lol first the bike was leveled by putting jack stands under the saddle bag bars using wood shims as needed..after the trailer was cut apart, and alot of thinking this is what I came up with,,, I'm sorry I don't have pics. of a few things, I will try to explain, and if needed can do a few drawings ?? using 1" square tubing a "frame" was made following the lines of the "swing" arm and went around the back of rear tire at the same level as the bottom saddle bag bars. it is bolted to the Bike frame at the mounting bolts of the passenger foot pegs, and Muffler bracket, using about a 2"x 3" flat plate . also have a U shape bracket made from 11/2 square tubing cut down the middle.it is bolted up under the seat area to the trunk frame bars , and goes down to the "made "frame and welded to it right behind the rear tire. ALL of this part stays on the bike when the "trike" part is removed. it is vertually not visable unless really looking for it.. I will post some pics. and if any Questions need answered , or measurements are needed , let me know.. I realize it would have been much easier useing the independant torsion spring spindle, but I wanted to try use what I had, and not have to purchase anything.. :)

Attachments

• 100_2695.JPG
    100_2695.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 371
  • 100_2696.JPG
    100_2696.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 100_2699.JPG
    100_2699.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_2687.JPG
    100_2687.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_2698.JPG
    100_2698.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 365
  • 100_2689.JPG
    100_2689.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 359
Thank you, it handles GREAT, In the past I've had a Harley with a side car, and a VW trike with a long front end...this one is MUCH better than both of those, even in a 25 mph cross wind, no problems.. I have fenders , and a fiberglass cover ofr the back on it now, I'll post those pics. asap

Attachments

• 100_2734.JPG
    100_2734.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 358
to Chasrogers..go for it....it's lot of fun, it don't need to be perfect., even the frame could be a little "un square" just make sure the wheels are aligned with each other, and with the rear wheel, allso there needs to be an adjustment "up and down" for the wheel, to set comfortable spring pressure , and level..... To Dan ,,i only used the 'Main " leaf spring, and and with the light weight of the 'rig' the air shocks on the bike seem to be enough...if any thing it's a bit to stiff of a ride on real bumpy roads..I'm really OVER joyed with it compared to the Vw :moped: trike , and Harley side car rig I used to have

Hi , well I'm not sure how much it weighs , I can lift it ?? it really could be built out of much smaller, lighter material, but like I said , I used what I had.. after buying the tires and rims "used" I prob. only have under $200 in it.

My brother in law builr 3 trike assys out of small trailers. 1 for a GL500, one for a gl1100, and one for a gl1500. I stripped them all off. Not much intrested in trikes, they are too hard to lean into turns. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :whistling: :ahem:

Thanks for all the comments...Here she is with fenders ( made from a Chevy Van spare tire cover that someone had in the trash ) and a fiberglass cover for thr rear. :builder:

Attachments

• 100_2764.JPG
    100_2764.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 296

Latest posts