Turn signal switch puzzle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckxxxx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be normal but seems weird to me. Today I took my windjammer off and put the OE headlight and turn signals back on ('82 naked). This requires taking about all of the connections apart that go into the HL and then putting everything back together inside the HL.

Now, if the HL is on low beam the turn switch works like normal...if you put it left or right it stays and the signals flash til you move it back to middle position. But if HL is on high beam the turn switch does not stay...if you are not pushing on it it returns to middle. Seems like something to do with auto cancel feature although that has never worked on this bike.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Brian

Hmm sounds like something is crossed which is activating the self cancel solenoid.
Check over all the grounds real good. 1 flakey ground can make for all sorts of weird things happen.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169878#p169878:x7qcpj6y said:
kerryb » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:54 am[/url]":x7qcpj6y]
Apparently your auto-cancel works...you're just not pushing the right buttons!
You're right. I can just switch to high beam and they cancel. :shock:

Always have hated electrical gremlins, :roll: as very often do not understand just how or why things went wrong. :headscratch:

I'm not sure that it hasn't always been this way. I very seldom travel out of town at night so I never use my high beams. All other times I use low beams and turn signals stay on till I manually cancel.

But now I am wondering if I could get auto cancel to work.

Brian

Check the wiring. If the ground is dodgy it could cause this but there is a wire from the speedometer that is supposed to activate auto cancel. Maybe it got switched with the high beam indicator wire. When the high beam is on is there an indicator light lit up?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169951#p169951:2k1cgl8b said:
slabghost » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:24 pm[/url]":2k1cgl8b]
Check the wiring. If the ground is dodgy it could cause this but there is a wire from the speedometer that is supposed to activate auto cancel. Maybe it got switched with the high beam indicator wire. When the high beam is on is there an indicator light lit up?

I just went out and tried switching from low to high beam: I don't get the blue indicator light but, instead get a clicking (like a relay switching) inside the left hand grip switch pod. I used to get the blue light and no clicking so something is not hooked up right. .

Thinking....

OK, I finally got around to figuring this out. There is a dark blue wire that goes from the high beam wire of the headlight plug that goes to the blue high beam indicator light on the dash. There is a connector in this wire. There is also a dark blue wire that goes to the turn signal relay which I had, mistakenly, plugged into the high beam connector.

Now it's fixed :music:

Brian

Always a great feeling when the ongoing annoyance, is finally understood & sorted out, :yes: good work. :good:

Latest posts