update to installing electric fuel pump on my 76

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who444444

Reaction score
got 85 gl1200 tip switched and wired it to my electric fuel pump install. Now using normally open 12 volt auto relay ( very common, auto parts store or I got mine from auto junk yard near home )
Much simpler than earlier install and is on with ignition switch and stays on unless bike is laid down.
Be sure to hook up connections before mounting tip switch to make sure it works.( tip switch 90 degrees )
Switch does not reset itself untill power is turned off and then turned back on. Just righting switch won't do it. This is function of this switch and not a result of how it is hooked up.
This is installed on a 76 gl1000 using a 85 gl1200 tip switch with black, green, and red/ white stripe wires and that is the only one I could tell you about. Here is a cartoon of connections for hookup

dave

Attachments

• pump wiring.jpg
    pump wiring.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 177
BTW thanks for all the ideas for a more efficient way of connecting pump for ease and safety.
dave

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116956#p116956:28pafxj7 said:
charles franz » Mon May 05, 2014 7:28 pm[/url]":28pafxj7]
I belive terminal #85 needs to go to ground to make it turn on, Please correct me if I am wrong, Thanks Charlie in NC
85 and 86 power the coil and the coil doesn't care about polarity.

The relay is grounded through the tip sensor, as long as it stays vertical. If it tips too far, the ground circuit is broken, and the relay opens. The sensor requires 12v to operate.

Latest posts