Valkyrie new rear tire and polyurethane final drive orings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
Finally got Val up on the lift so that I could get the rear wheel off for polishing, new tire and polyurethane final drive orings
I decided to check final drive oil at the same time and ended up with a two piece cap/plug. :doh:
Took the wheel down and stripped off the old E3 at the bike shop. For a moment it seemed like I was going to have to cut it with the angle grinder to get it free of the rim. After much repositioning with the tire machine we were finally able to get it off the rim without cutting ( fourth attempt ). I will take it to the polisher and see what he suggests, my mate at the bike shop is just suggesting steel wool at this stage.

I will need to strip all the clear coat off the rim. As we couldn't really get the polishers tools into all the detail areas of the rim it was decided to only polish the outer beading part of the rim with the rest just done in soapy steel wool.
A light sand and the buff produced a nice shine on the outer part of the rim.
I used the tailgate on the RTV as a work bench and ended up with an assistant in the back.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176249#p176249:13qkuqsb said:
slabghost » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:12 am[/url]":13qkuqsb]
Assistant? Looks like a supervisor to me! :BigGrin:

No he is only another male! :smilie_happy:

Used poly style wheels on the die grinders to remove all the final original clear coat from the rear wheel. I then use steel wool soap pads to give an even finish, unfortunately my first stripping wheel was too coarse and I can still see some scratches/ marks from it. The little 2" scotch brite wheel is fairly fine and gives an almost polished finish so I will use it to hopefully get rid of the marks.

Latest posts