Valve seals

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnyl

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if you can replace the valve seals without pulling the heads? I have one clilnder that the plug is fouling with soot (like soot from a candle). It is the #4 plug. :thanks: :moped:

Or the rope trick. Do a compression test to be sure the valves are ok. If compression is low It may be a bent valve causing the trouble.

:Egyptian: I found nthat I had a crimped vac line on the 31 CARB. i THINK IT MIGHT HAVE MESSED UP THE WHOLE CARB ADJUSTMENT. i WILL HAVE IT RE ADJUSTED WHEN i GET BACK FROM VACATION. iT NEVER DID FOUL OUT A PLUG TILL i HAD THE CARBS ADJUSTED. :moped:

:Doh2: i MUST STILL BE HUNG OVER. i CAN'T SPELL WORTH A DA BKBKBKBK. WHAT i WANTED TO SAY WAS THE # 4 CYLINDER :moped:

Hi I have taken the bike from Ma. to W Va in the back of my pick up. I haven't had time to even look at the bike since I arrived Here. I did find that I had a loose plug wire on # 4 plug. I fixed it and started it up and got a lot of gas fumes and some smoke. When I went in the house my wife said I smelled like exhaust fumes. I did have to use the choke to start it up since it sat for 3 weeks. As soon as it started up the choke was shut off.

:thanks:
Thank's I sure hope so. As soon as I can I will take the bike out for a ride to se if it was the problem.
It is a beautiful day here today in the 70's No rain as of yet, hope it stay's that way.

Valve stem seals play a critical role in controlling valve lubrication as well as oil consumption. If the seals do not fit properly or are not installed correctly, the guides may be either starved for lubrication or flooded with oil. Either way, the engine is going to have problems - and you're going to have an unhappy customer and perhaps a warranty claim.

Beg to differ. Valve seals are important yes. Critical? No. Aside from some oil consumption there are very few problems with old seals in any motor.

There are no vacuum lines on a gl 1000 carb number 4. There is an air line from the plenum to each carb. The only one with vacuum is number 1. Crimped air line could make that plug sooty.

I have an electronic egnition on the bike. I also have a new set of coils and wires. I have been going to the hospital for the last fiew weeks with my wife and haven't had a chance to look at the bike. I did start it up a couple times, but not enough to soot up the plugs. Rite now it is put up for the winter. I will have to get to it in the Spring. Hopefully it will be early in the season so I can get in some riding this year :moped:

Man I can't wait for spring to start showing up. I havent done a thing to the wing since october. OH yea I did go down to cover it up :moped:

Latest posts