Voltage output

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuna boy

Reaction score
I have one of the cigarette lighter plug in voltmeters. Started my 1100 and went for a 60 mile ride. While pulling into my garage while the bike was idling at about 1000 rpm and the volt meter read 9.9 volts. Reved the bike to 3-4000. Meter came up to 11.5 to 12. I thought the charge rate was 13-14 volts? I even plugged in my battery tender and it has been charging for 1/2 hour and still continues. So I keep an eye on the OEM stator plug and it still looks like new. So what is the charge rate supposed to be and at what rpm? I will look at the stator plug and battery for water level. Any ideas on the charge rate and other ideas.
Thx
Tuna

First, you need to confirm the actual battery voltage at the battery. To properly test if the charging system is working, you need to take readings with a multimeter at the battery terminals.

Check the voltage with the engine off. Start the bike and while at idle, check the voltage again. (Should read at least 12.5 volts at idle) With the meter on the battery, rev the engine to 2500-3000 RPM and you should see the voltage rise from 12.5 to at least 13.8 minimum.

Do the obvious things such as check and make sure your battery terminal and ground connections are good and clean. Also, it is common for the regulator rectifier connection to get dirty. And of course, the stator wire connection.

The problem with the cigarette lighter type of meter is that it is also reading every little bit of electrical draw on the battery so it is never really as accurate as a meter connected directly to the battery.

I only use my cigarette lighter for lighting cigarettes, so what the hell do I know!

But I would put an AC amprobe around all 3 yellow wires between the stator and the regulator with the motor running at about 3K rpm, just to make sure.

They only all have to be equal to confirm the best case scenario.

And that's most likely what you'll find!

my dash mounted volt meter will read very low voltage at an idle. it changes slowly as rpms are increased. It caps out just shy of 14v.

think i read some where that this is normal and this is one reason not to have long extended idle at or below 1k rpm.