• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Vetter Type 4 Hardware Kit

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Def

Reaction score
So, it turns out the Windjammer IV installed on my 79 Goldwing was custom made for a KZ1300. In order for it to fit correctly so I can remove a bracket installed by the PO that is pounding the crap outta my front fender, I require a Type 4 hardware kit. It's a long shot, but I thought I'd put it out there.

First I've heard of any difference. Please explain what you have and how the type 4 differs. Vetter is still in business so may have what you need.

I contacted Mr. Vetter himself (very helpful) and after reviewing pics of my fairing, he was able to identify mine as a custom made fairing for a KZ1300 to accommodate the large gas tank. I have 4 mounting holes higher up the inside front of the fairing. Due to how much was cut away, an additional type 4 kit is needed to stabilize the nose of the fairing. The PO made one up and welded it to the existing goldwing fairing mount, but it pounds my front fender when the shocks compress during quick stops. I am replacing fork seals right now so will install progressive forks with the addition of small spacers (about 1 inch in each fork) and heavier fork oil. It might help. Check out the pics... I guess they are rare? Ebay is the only source for the Type 4 kit. There are 0 for sale right now. Pic 3 shows the bracket made by the PO. Pic 5 shows the 4 extra bolt holes...2 under each speaker. The bottom 2 bolts attach to the bracket added by the PO. Pic 2 is of the pretty fairing color matched to my bike. Option 2 is to find an actual goldwing Windjammer IV. I want it color matched so that reduces my options.Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20150207_232253 (2).jpg
    IMG_20150207_232253 (2).jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20150129_185126.jpg
    IMG_20150129_185126.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20150207_200951 (2).jpg
    IMG_20150207_200951 (2).jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20150207_232423 (2).jpg
    IMG_20150207_232423 (2).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20140802_095929.jpg
    IMG_20140802_095929.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 119
There is no difference for the bike to fairing harness for the WJ 3, SS, 4, 5, Vindicator, & Kawasaki. They are all 9 pin/9 wire.

The two holes under each speaker is for mounting the horns inside the fairing on the WJ IV and V. Not sure how those also play into mounting the fairing on a KZ bike, but I think there is an additional mounting frame. The fairing is a Kawi fairing as the mounting lip is cut towards the rear of the fairing which as you stated Craig refereneced that adds the clearance for the tank.

As far as the harness is concerned, buying one may only lead to more problems of finding one that is old and brittle. You may be better off making one:

https://www.craigvetter.com/images/...uctions/1979 Windjammer IV Owner's Manual.pdf

Page 8 has the fairing wiring diagram and color codes.

Plugs13.jpg

The 9 pin connector can be ordered from Craig's sight here:

https://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Online_Store/Replacement_Parts/Details.html#anchor

There are some less expensive ones out there if you want to look for them.

I have a FAIR amount of those fairings in stock and with a better idea (pics are helpful) I am sure I have what you need.
The harnesses I have are in good shape and supple enough

Thanks guys but my wire harness is functioning fine. Type 4 is an additional hardware kit to stabilize the fairing to the bike.

Haha on the harness to hardware....I'm not going to mess with you...too many others in life probably do it already! :BigGrin: Anyway, here's a couple more pics. Pic 1 shows the Type 4 kit. Pic 2 shows where it mounts to on the fairing itself. Not sure how it mounts to the original honda bracket that attaches fairing to bike. Interesting...isn't it. :headscratch:

Attachments

• vetter1.png
    vetter1.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 79
  • vetter2.png
    vetter2.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 78
You may want to hit up Lucien Harpress over on NGW Club. If memory serves me right, and it doesn't always, I think he is converting his KZ1300 to naked so he may have one that he might be getting rid of. As far as mounting that to an original mount for a GoldWing, I don't see how that is going to work in a stock configuration. Break out the torch and the welder.