What seat is this?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fleming

Reaction score
Hi All - I need to replace/repair the seat cover on my 77 gl1000, but I have a feeling it is not a stock seat. I have attached a picture of it. Isn't the stock seat for a 77 a straight-type seat with a strap (no contours or diamond quilting etc like the one pictured)? If you have any ideas on where to get a replacement seat cover or how to proceed, I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• Seatpic.jpg
    Seatpic.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 280
Does not appear to be a stock Honda seat, regardless of year, from what I know. Could be a Saddleman, or maybe a Corbin? If you take it off, there may be more info on the bottom of it....or someone else here will know for sure.
Does it say "Honda" across the back?

Your right, not stock. Looks like a Travelcade, still made, but called Saddleman now I do think. Don't know if you can get just a cover or not. I have taken some seats to a Auto seat place with good luck.

They are about 2 bills new, got one on my 1100 for about 8 years now. Still rocks..

saddlemans seats make replacment covers and seats both styles there some custom seats like cafe availible too by a company ...my 77 came with a seat like that ...im not sure it stock either ...but they may have started useing some of these in 77 along with the strait seats

My advice would be to start surfing eBay. Enter <Honda GL1000 seat> in the search line and you'll come up with a lot of replacement possibilities. Here's a Saddlemen brand new for only $119 and free shipping. Several used as well. Recovering yours may cost as much as a new one.

That's a "Hang Two" double bucket.
103_0360.JPG

My 1000 came with ine when I got it off of eBay:
DSC01797.JPG

Actually, it's the same seat that is on my 1000 now. I re-cut the foam, added some foam, heat and a bladder, ...patterned and then stiched a new cover for it.

Foam:
SEAT018.JPG

Patterned:
SEAT1.JPG

Stitched:
SEAT015.JPG

Pop-Riveted:
103_0376.JPG

Creased:
103_0379.JPG

...and Done:
103_0375.JPG

I'm no Seamstress, but I had fun doing it. I got what I wanted in the end, and the seat has held-up exceptionally well since. Very little maintenance using the marine-grade vynil.

Here's an up-close of one area:
103_0371.JPG

And the same seat two years later:
jmdr.jpg.jpg

I'm not sure where Ed could find another cover for it.

I've plenty more pictures of doing the seat, but this is Ed's thread.
I don't know if double bucket covers are generic or not.
Stitching a new one is possible, but time consuming. He'd have to cut that one apart for the pattern.

yes - I was thinking of trying to stitch a new one. Maybe I'll try to do like you did - patterns etc. Thanks! Looks like you did a lot of work and it came out well.

The main thing I did was to cut the rise portion of the foam back 2"-3" to give myself more room.
I'll list materials I used this evening. The vynil is superb and I bought it off the floor at Jo-Ann's Fabrics.
Used a regular sewing machine with a denim needle. I'll post-up on it all later.

Latest posts