will not run with out choke being on

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvjoiner

Reaction score
The saga continues I have a 1987 gl1200 that backfires thru the exhaust here ALL of the things I did to it,
1st had a water pump go bad and burn a head gasket,replace both along with new timing belts and cleaned carbs using spray carbs cleaner
2nd had a bad power wire to the coils and cdi ,No spark, Did a coil mod.se attachment still no spark, Thought it was a bad pulse generator,replace them no luck so replace cdi with a used one still no luck then found bad wire, replace it and it runs
3rd now that it runs I had a bad backfire pulled carbs off and the air cutoff valve was bad could see light trough it order Randakk's Cycle Shakk Honda GL1200 Carb Overhaul Master Kit https://randakks.com/products/randakks-o ... erhaul-kit
4th clean everything old school with pan of hot 100% lemon juice now run only with the choke on
could it be the slow jets HELP :help:

Attachments

• coil_diagram.jpg
    coil_diagram.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 155
yes it is most likely the slow jets are plugged.Or it could be you are leaking a lot of air in. At the intake horns maybe? 1200 carbs are constant velocity carbs which do best with a bit of vacuum in the air filter box. Do you have the air filter and box installed?

Don't trust Clymer Manual it tell you one coil fires 1&3 Cylinder other fires 2&4 WRONG One fires 1&2 other Fires 3&4 only way a found out went to a shop and they had a 86 gl1200 and it was wired the right way change mine and DA DA it run right, Got carbs synce run like a Rape Ape now
Thanks to everone who help me with everthing