• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB xs650...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk2valve

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone have a XS650 Yammie they want to sell? I am scheming on a sidecar build and while this is a Goldwing group, who knows what lurks in the garages of you guys????

It would need to be pretty close to the southwest area....
Thanks,
Brian

XS650 is very sought after now to build cafe bikes. If you do find one it won't likely be cheap. You might broaden your search to KZ750 twins. Pre 80 models had points ignition. I think the twin was dropped in 82 or 83. Good luck in your search.

Very good point slabghost. I see that as I am looking online...that and they seem to like them for bobbers, custom choppers, etc. They lady at the Albuquerque cycle salvage said someone came in 2 years ago and bought every 650 Yammie engine she had...I may well be barking up the wrong tree. Crap I sold mine for $600 about 8 years ago...

I have been interested in the past in the KZ750 but didn't they have a problem with their exceedingly long cam chain and keeping it tight enough? Seems I read about that once. I remember, in fact I think I still have the article about a sidecar rig the Doug Bingham built using one for a couple who were taking it to Africa back in the 80's.

The thing that keeps my interest with the XS is the fairly large aftermarket for them...I guess that goes along with their popularity and would help drive the price up.

I see you have a KZ750...is yours a twin or four cyl?

Brian

I have both. The twin and the 4 cylinder. The twin is a torque monster and very easy to maintain. I've not encountered any cam chain issues with the twin. The achilles heal to the twin 750 is the start clutch. Although it is the same in many KZs It tends to come apart in the 750 twin. Chances are very good if you find one with a "locked up motor" it is just the starter clutch. Which is also very easy to get to on them.

slabghost":3vi6zlcm said:
XS650 is very sought after now to build cafe bikes. If you do find one it won't likely be cheap. You might broaden your search to KZ750 twins. Pre 80 models had points ignition. I think the twin was dropped in 82 or 83. Good luck in your search.

A buddy of mine has two XL-800's that he would love to part with, he has two GL1100's and one Vstar which is the reason he would like to part with the 800's (one is a parts bike)

:yahoo: I obviously dont know Yamaha's - its an XS not XL and its an 1100 not an 800 - sorry not what you were looking for

Hey, that's ok...glad to have you at least make the effort. One never knows...I am open to the first good thing that comes along....I am now pretty excited about the KZ750 twin that slabghost mentioned...what a cool bike but it looks like they are even rarer than the XS650....lol...they are being cafe'd and bobbed as well....our younger guys are taking what was a less than valued generation of motos and making jewelry out of them. Makes me crazy now I am looking but secretly I love it.... lol. I really like some of what they are doing...very sweet machines...
Oh well, an old man dreams...if an old BMW airhead came along it might catch me too....in fact I have a friend who has one in boxes that I may pursue...I think he is hard to get something away from tho...

78b3-1.jpg

This is a my 78 KZ750 B3. It also has kick start.