Y'all's opinion on tires...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piktureit

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put a new rear tire on my GL1100. Just thought I'd canvas for opinions on the best choices. I'm looking at several different ones. It's got a Continental on there now. The Metzeler ME 88 looks good but is kind of pricey, Bridgestone seems to have good reviews and there's an offbrand called Shinko that has good reviews and is half the cost. I'll probably end up with another Continental since I get an employee discount from them but I value everyone's opinion on here since you know alot more about these old 'wings than I do. Also, I'm not sure if I can use my discount from Continental since it has to be sold through Tirerack and they don't seem real interested in bike tires.

Any thoughts are welcome, thanks alot y'all!

I have a Dunlop EII on the front, and Dunlop 404 on the rear....they no longer make the EII or EIII in the size needed for the rear on mine... :crying:

Im on my second set of E-3s.I replaced them only after a nail punctured the rear at 14,000.Could have finished the year otherwise.I also periodically pull a trailor and/or a sidecar witch ate up my E2s at 10,000.

But Im using honda GN4 oil.You may get differant results.

Tory":1kxwzyj4 said:
Im on my second set of E-3s.I replaced them only after a nail punctured the rear at 14,000.Could have finished the year otherwise.I also periodically pull a trailor and/or a sidecar witch ate up my E2s at 10,000.

I use a variety of oils, never run GN4.
Maybe THAT's why I get such low tire mileage!

dan filipi":3msv1hbu said:
Tory":3msv1hbu said:

I use a variety of oils, never run GN4.
Maybe THAT's why I get such low tire mileage!

Perhaps its not the oil you are or are not using,but rather the method or amount you are putting into the tires?

Perhaps its not the oil you are or are not using,but rather the method or amount you are putting into the tires?
Or "on" the tires.

Tory, you have a pretty cool looking sidecar and you pull a trailer as well, is that right? I'd like to see that going down the road, have you got a photo? You guy's are nut's on here.. :smilie_happy:

The oil of choice is olive oil! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Smear 2.3oz (mixed with ATF of course) and it not only increases your gas mileage and tire tread life span, but it removes wrinkles and makes salad tase good! :smilie_happy: :eek: :heat: :thank_you:

dan filipi":2nmferza said:
I have an E2 rear and an E3 front.

They both have run fine for me but after reading about Gerry getting 13k miles out of his that's what I'll try next.
i have close to 10k on the e-3's on the 1200. the 1500 had e-3's on it when i got it so i don't know how many miles the po put on them but i have about 11k. i replaced the front last july and i'm going to replace the rear as soon as weather allows and staying with e-3's

my opion on tyres is it dont matter what brand you buy they wear out way to fast ... :rant: i mean when you go for long trips on a good oldwing the one thing you cant get away from is your going to need tyres along the way there or back it seems... :rant: okay im done... :mrgreen:

littlebeaver":2ngcvvge said:
Tory, you have a pretty cool looking sidecar and you pull a trailer as well, is that right? I'd like to see that going down the road, have you got a photo? You guy's are nut's on here.. :smilie_happy:

Attachments

• bike 021.JPG
    bike 021.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 142
Tory":ykfen9jk said:
littlebeaver":ykfen9jk said:
Wow...I'd say that you have it all, way way way cool, thanks for the photo..Way cool.. :grin:

Latest posts