What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Changed the clutch perch. The clutch switch is good, the neutral light is on, but I still have to engage the clutch handle to start the bike. This is on my 83 standard wing.

I took it for a quick ride and blew the 15A fuse for the horn, brake lights and turn signals. I'm guessing the PO did a number on the wiring. Guess that's my project tomorrow.

bronzestarvue":1zb8cwxb said:
Yeah, that was poorly worded on my part, I actually didn't start her up in the garage, but the rest is accurate, lol!

Like I mentioned earlier, I replaced the rubber fuel lines with some clear hose, but ran into a problem. The short hose that goes from the carbs down to the fuel pump developed a leak at the fuel pump. I pulled the hose off, and I think it's because the edge of the clamp cut into the softer clear hose. So I put the black rubber hose back on, but left the clear hose between the fuel tap and fuel pump, because both ends on that one were dry. That way I can still see if the tap is leaking fuel. But the more I think about it, I don't think it's gas that's making it smoke after sitting a while, I think it's oil (whitish smoke). Can't wait for the weather to warm up some, so I can take her out and blow out them carbs, and residual oil!
You could also add a small gas filter & leave the stronger rubber hose back on.You could see fuel pass & have an extra filtering on the line.I thought of doing that on mine some time ago but never got to it. :headscratch:

Ok, I tired of looking at her under the tarp and decided that with mild temperatures we are experiencing here in PA I would uncover, put the battree in and go for a spin....The last time I had 'er out was new years day and got caught in the rain...no biggie right? Well the state dot puts this liquid ice melt crap on the roads when it is cold (brine solution) it was cold and slick a day or two prior to new years and they applied this poo and it dried on the roads....when it rained on new years it was made soluable once again and coated all the bright work on my beloved 'Aspy, and appearing merely wet I covered her up...and was horrified when I uncovered 'er yesterday...I'm a gonna be polishing for four days or more to get her back....

paddy.shadow":2f09cmqe said:
Ok, I tired of looking at her under the tarp and decided that with mild temperatures we are experiencing here in PA I would uncover, put the battree in and go for a spin....The last time I had 'er out was new years day and got caught in the rain...no biggie right? Well the state dot puts this liquid ice melt crap on the roads when it is cold (brine solution) it was cold and slick a day or two prior to new years and they applied this poo and it dried on the roads....when it rained on new years it was made soluable once again and coated all the bright work on my beloved 'Aspy, and appearing merely wet I covered her up...and was horrified when I uncovered 'er yesterday...I'm a gonna be polishing for four days or more to get her back....
You know we welcome any pictures :yes: even if its poo pictures :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

To much sand/salt/ & pooo around these parts even when it gets nice for a day or 2, so she stay's in the garage till we get a couple of days with some pretty heavy rain in late Mar. then she'll come out of hibernation :music: :music: :music:

:cool: well to start with i got a shop vac and sucked all the varnish smelling stuff out of the tank and filled her up with water.sucked that out twice.filled her up agian. then i got out the battery chargerand armmer hammer and startedthe electro process. of getting the tank clean. put the sending unit in vinager.and it is looking a hole lot better. got to go out and cover her back up. time toput miss daisy to bed.

:blush: Well..er.....uh.....I managed to flop mine over on top of Mama's Corvette....again... :blush:

I got it out and cleaned it all up, nice and purdy. Then I started checkin on some stuff that needed attention, like the front brake light switch. It had stopped working the brake lite, so I figured I'd pull it off an see what makes it werk, and can I fix it. I get the switch out, and apart, clean it up so it makes good contact. Yahoo. As I wuz walking back around to the left side, it happened...flop-bang-crunch. And, just to make it more interesting, Mama just happened to be standin there... :shock: :sensored: :Doh2:
My driveway is on an incline, so I know this is always a possibility, so I had a jack-stand placed under the crash bar on the right side, to keep it from tippin over. Apparently, that doesn't keep it from rolling forward, and floppin. Anywho...once again, I gotta take the trunk lite bar off and straighten it back out. At least this time, it dint bust the lens on the lite.
After all that, I fired it up again(I had already had it runnin earlier), and....dang thing wuz smokin like a Detroit Diesel on a cold mornin...and it just kept on smoking, even after I shut the fuel off, and let it run outta fuel. This mornin, when I fired it up, it poofed a wee bit o smoke, and that wuz it...all gone-gone now.
Soooo...I got to ride today for the first time since October o last year!! Yipppeeeeeee!!!! :yahoo:

Well i just looked at for while.. then took off a few more parts i don't want to go too fast tearing it down or the stator might get fixed

I rode the 05 to work today. 41 this AM and 60 this PM. Should be able to ride again tomorrow before rain. Still to cold to ride the 83 without a windshield. Great to ride in Feb. Life is good! :thanks:

old pipes 1.JPG
Fixed the wiring problems caused by the PO. Wiring to the right rear turn signals was grounded. Not only blew fuses but gave some weird symptoms. Well, fixed now.

I am obsessing over a project to replace the OEM mufflers that were chopped off by PO, look awful and are straight pipes - loud. A guy that works for me pulled his sportster mufflers off a couple of years ago and is going to give them to me. Probably get them this weekend.
old pipes 2.JPG

I used my new MC jack today . Removed the rear wheel ,put a kit in rear caliper , kit in rear master cyl. And this old man is tired. Got to go to bed now and get up and go to work ,,,,, I hope.

put the dyna in an set it up. wet up my gas jug tryed it nothing... :Awe: took the line off at the fuel pump nothing coming in. derect feed, tried agian. don't have good battry yet useing last years lawnmower jumpers and and i got a couple of pos. puffs of black smoke. and i think she tried to hit but i don't think i'm getting enough power that way/ any ideas?

Best thing is get a new battery for the bike. Lawn tractor battery doesn't have enough power. You could jump it from your car but don't have the car running. Jumper cables as a rule aren't the best at carrying the needed amperage as contact area is very small.

Well, I got up my nerve and cut two 3 1/4" holes in my windshield. :beg: I mounted two of the Vetter vents and all went well. :clapping: :heat: I then went for an 85 mile ride, it's like springtime here in Southern Ohio.
The first, hot summers day I should know if I improved the air flow or not.

Rode the white Mother Ship (2005) to work today. 31 when I left and 57 on the way home. Very nice.

Hope to continue the black 83 work so I can get it out soon. Cold without a windshield. Guess I'm a wimp!

Latest posts