New regulator type to replace the OEM is available!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I don't know how long this unit has been available but a thread at NGW turned me on to this
https://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple- ... grade.html

Hookup is simple, 3 yellow wires in and pos and neg out.
All the wires are right there at the stock regulator/rectifier plug so this upgrade should be super easy.
I saw somewhere this can be done for under $50!

Dan, did you actually buy and install this? So this does away with the whole shunt thing? If I convert to LEDS and use this regulator, it would get even cooler with less load. Seems like a good deal, thanks for the link. Maybe someday I'll try it.

brianinmaine":2b4aqpr2 said:
Dan, did you actually buy and install this? So this does away with the whole shunt thing? If I convert to LEDS and use this regulator, it would get even cooler with less load. Seems like a good deal, thanks for the link. Maybe someday I'll try it.

No, I have no experience with it. I would buy one but I have an external alternator and can't test it because the internal is toast.
From what I understand it makes the charging system act like a modern type that only puts out what is needed rather than running constantly at 100% whether it's needed or not.
Since only the load needed is generated the stator should last much longer and there should be a slight less load on the engine.

Someone needs to do this so we can test it.

I am looking for one of these... anyone know of a supplier for new... or a reputation for quality used ones???? :help: :help: :laptop: :laptop: :laptop: :laptop: :head bang: :head bang:

I have been watching ebay and other places and the $119 price from roadstercycle.com seems to be the going price for the kit. When you look up the Yamaha part number for the equivelant, the price goes up to almost $200 in some locations!

My understanding is that the new mosfet regulators are still a shunt style regulator but they feed excess current back into the stator out of phase.
While these regulators are more efficient and reliable it seems they would be harder on your stator than the stock SCR shunt to ground regulator.

https://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technic ... heory.html

I believe what you are interested in is a series regulator which momentarily opens the stator circuits to reduce power output. An open circuit can’t have current and as a result won’t generate heat. The only ones currently available are upgrade units for Harley’s made by Compufire and Cycle Electric.

https://www.posplayr.100megsfree3.com/FH ... H012AA.pdf
https://www.cycleelectricinc.com/RECTIFIER.html#CE-600
https://www.metricthunder.com/img/install.pdf
I’m looking to eventually upgrade mine with the Cycle Electric unit.

Jorg

I believe that I have fallen victim to a dreaded regulator failure. Symptoms are at a constant 3000 RPM the voltage measured at the battery runs from 12.1 volts then drops to 10.7 volts regularly every 2 or 3 seconds. I have lightened all the load I can by changing most of my lights to LED and the stator connector has been bypassed. The stator passes all the standard diagnostics so I'm thinking that the regulator may be breaking down under load and it's on the way out. In doing my due dilligence and research here and on some other forums, I am convinced that I want to change to the Compufire 55120 Series Regulator. Has anyone used this regulator on their Wing? I'm just looking for some feedback before I spend $90.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

i have no experience with the open circut regulators ....but as jorg says they are the ones that will reduce load on the stator and the others are a joke and just completly bad for the stator....good luck steve with charging issue

SteveA-wing":2vm5dnvv said:
I believe that I have fallen victim to a dreaded regulator failure. Symptoms are at a constant 3000 RPM the voltage measured at the battery runs from 12.1 volts then drops to 10.7 volts regularly every 2 or 3 seconds. I have lightened all the load I can by changing most of my lights to LED and the stator connector has been bypassed. The stator passes all the standard diagnostics so I'm thinking that the regulator may be breaking down under load and it's on the way out. In doing my due dilligence and research here and on some other forums, I am convinced that I want to change to the Compufire 55120 Series Regulator. Has anyone used this regulator on their Wing? I'm just looking for some feedback before I spend $90.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Steve, I just did some work on a friends '82 Aspy and he had the same issue. I had a spare '81 regulator and swapped it out for him and it worked great. Just to be on the safe side, I swapped his back in again and IT WORKED! Turns out, his connections became loose when he was working on his compressor and took his tank off....it got caught on the wire harness. Didn't look loose, but it was enough to loose a connection. Without a connection, the regulator will not work...hence stator will not send current back to the battery so no wires got hot. Worth a try to check before replacing? I would pull the harness connection, clean and reconnect as a try. Good Luck!

I'll pull the shelter and give it a once over. I did have the false tank off last month and it's always possible that I could have snagged a wire. In any case a good cleaning couldn't hurt anyway. Thanks for te tip. That gives me something else to check. I'll update once I dig into it a little more.

Thanks again,

Steve

Its sure worth a shot, these regulators seem to be pretty tough and not the weak link.
Try some contact cleaner sprayed into both ends of the plug then plug and unplug a few times to scratch the connections clean.
Those same 3 yellows are at the regulator, I've seen them overheated on that end also.

Latest posts