Front master cylinder piston

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workinman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to rebuild the brakes on the 77 I’m restoring and I cannot seem to get the piston out of the front master cylinder. I’ve removed the rubber boot and the small clip that holds the boot in, but I can find NOTHING holding the piston in the cylinder. There should be a circlip holding it in, but there is not. The only thing I can come up with is that there is a washer and THEN a circlip, but there doesn’t appear to be a washer. It looks like the actual casting of the master cylinder. Any ideas from you guys that have run into this? I’ve never had a master cylinder kick my butt before, but this one is doing it!
Thanks,
Chris

Never worked on a '77 master cylinder, but did rebuild my '82 master and once the circlip is pulled it still took a bit to get the rod out. The rubber cups on the end were holding on for dear life!

Thanks guys! I finally figured it out. There was actually a washer BEFORE the circlip, but it was so well fitting that it looked like it was part of the casting. I finally got mad and smacked it with an awl and a hammer enough to bend it so that I could actually see it wasn’t part of the casting. All down hill from there...
Thanks again!

Latest posts