Original mirrors...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workinman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I need the help of you purists again. Finishing up my restoration I installed the mirrors that were on the bike when I got it. After I installed, I noticed that one has a longer set back than the other. I’m assuming this is not the way they came from the factory. It’s been so long that I don’t remember, but I doubt that they were supposed to be this way. These are both factory Honda mirrors but obviously different. Can somebody tell me which one is correct and which one isn’t?
Thanks again.

Attachments

• 1E0EA654-22C6-4873-A33F-0C088383D62C.jpeg
    1E0EA654-22C6-4873-A33F-0C088383D62C.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 121
  • C612B1AA-3E43-4846-BD5B-1B6765C998E7.jpeg
    C612B1AA-3E43-4846-BD5B-1B6765C998E7.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 119
For anyone who wants to measure and answer, a quick parts search shows the 77, 78 and 79 use the same part numbers.

One is an imposter, a replacement by the PO. I feel your pain, it's going to bug you. I took two rear turn signals of a bike in the bone yard, and noticed after I installed them they were two different lengths. These were real Honda parts, but one was about a 1/4" or more longer. The only reason I kept them was because I didn't have to look at them when riding, or even parked.

~O~

I figured this out! Who says I’m slow!
While out on the Wing today, it finally dawned on me why the mirrors have different length set backs on them. The right mirror mount is further forward on the handlebar because of the master cylinder. So, those SMART people at Honda made the stalk longer on the right mirror so that it would be the same distance from the rider as the left mirror. It’s PERFECT. Whoda thunkit?

Latest posts