GL1000 gas tank sealing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramchargerjay

Reaction score
My ‘78 GL1000 gas tank is rusty inside. I’m wondering if it’s ok to use a tank sealer like POR15 tank sealer or will it seal the pick ups inside the tank too?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=221516#p221516:tfa9ah9a said:
Ramchargerjay » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:23 pm[/url]":tfa9ah9a]
My ‘78 GL1000 gas tank is rusty inside. I’m wondering if it’s ok to use a tank sealer like POR15 tank sealer or will it seal the pick ups inside the tank too?
You will have to remove the screens. The rust has to come out first, anyway. I'm not a fan of the sealers on GL1000 tanks.

I used por 15 on my 1200 tank,it w as bad,here's how I did it.I cut a square hole at the rear of the tank and took it to my sand blast/welder guy.he blasted it and welded the plate back in and sealed it.welllll,when I got it home things got interesting.come to find out the screen was plugged.so I cut the tank again and cut off the screen then blew air thru it,all good.took it back and had it rewelded,now all is well

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Latest posts