gl1000 engine rebuild kits??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyBFC

Reaction score
hey gang, is there any rebuild kits out there for a 77 and 78 gl1000? i cant seem to find any... i have 2 bikes with bad compression and want to do an overhaul..... :beg:

stuff is realy hard to find for the oldwings honda is a crappy company that hes abandon the oldwings yrs ago ...in the throw away products and by new with the parts and service denial policy

Northeast Vintage Cycle ebay store has reproduction from Japan piston and ring sets for the 1000 in std. or .25 over or.75 over or 1. over, set of four for 350. dollars.

Everything and more ebay store has used gl1000 parts, like a complete rotating assemble, crank, rods and pistons for 48. dollars. They list a lot of gl1000 used parts.

Depending on the miles on your engines and how well they were cared for, personaly I would see if the compression is being lost in the heads before jumping on an overhaul as the bottom end of the flat four honda engines are tuff as boot leather and hold up for many miles of use. Hope this info helps. Good luck.

there a history of compression coming back through riding on these oldwings ...i wouldnt give up on them to quickly ....if they have been sitting they can be low compression and come back alot ive know this through experience....yes backlander makes good points ....its dicey on the lower end with the different bearing set ups for the same motors tho ....top first as stated

once running and the lower end is not making any noise then options get bigger :mrgreen:

I suggest you set the valves and if they have been sitting a long period of time. Run them at least 100miles or so and then recheck the compression. One of our members had an 1100 that was as completely worn out as any motor I've ever heard of and it still had good compression.

I had bad compression on a couple cylinders once. Replaced the valves (rust pitted) and had the seats ground. Great compression now, even though there had been serious rust on the cylinder walls (removed by patient scrapping with single edge razor blades).

Latest posts