Rear Progressive Air Shocks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julimike54

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1200AS
Well the shocks from 14,000 miles ago started with a slow air leak, now won't hold air. Noticed that the leak happened only while on centerstand. Per Progressive they don't have parts to rebuild (or they don't want to sell the parts). Today I took the shocks off for the new ones that are to be delivered today. This is what I found...

image.php

image.php

Both of the tops of the shocks are not seated. After removing shocks this is what I found....

image.php

they aren't attached to anything any more. I guess they unscrewed themselves in about 14,000 miles?

Any ideas of how or why or ??? I'm guessing they can be taken apart and put back together?

should be possible to put them back together. LocTite the threads if you do. Maybe spray Coppercoat gasket sealer on that top seal once it's cleaned up and ready to reassemble.

:shock:
That shaft is part of the damper assembly. You might be able to get it screwed back on to the piston, you might not. Definitely worth a shot. You might have to hold the damper upside down and let the piston slide to the top first....might take a while, time-wise for it to move tho. Problem will be getting the shaft screwed tight onto the piston, unless the damper actually comes apart.

I'm thinking that the only way to do this is complete disassemble. Tried to turn one over to screw it back in, had oil running out. :head bang: Figure the best way is all apart, clean up, assemble with Loctite. Of course then I'll have spares for when the new ones do the same :smilie_happy:

I know I've seen it before, there's a thread on taking the shocks apart, anyone have it bookmarked? I'll look...

I found this
https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/gallery/album.php?album_id=1263
which is for the Honda shocks

None on Progressive rebuild, they are a little different, but not much?

Might want to send pics to progressive and tell them their product failed you. They may send you replacements.

I did that V but after my last dealings with the 'Tech', I'm not holding my breath for them to even respond in any fashion. That said I bought more of their product because it works so well. They are about the only one that sells an air shock for the wings. The air preload is such a nice convenience when going from solo to 2 to loaded 2 and back.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175975#p175975:3boo5r5i said:
julimike54 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:14 pm[/url]":3boo5r5i]
I did that V but after my last dealings with the 'Tech', I'm not holding my breath for them to even respond in any fashion. That said I bought more of their product because it works so well. They are about the only one that sells an air shock for the wings. The air preload is such a nice convenience when going from solo to 2 to loaded 2 and back.
Not exactly a glowing endorsement for progressive. Best of luck in your attempt to reassemble them.

Do you know the model # on that shock, I have a set for a 1200 I am thinking of putting on one of my bikes and I would like to check them first while I have them off if they are going to be a problem.

Model is 1626C, per ticket, the warranty paper work calls it a Magnumatic shock. Per Tech the sticker on the shock is how they ID them, you can see the pink sticker partially in the one picture.

The damper appear's to have came apart. :roll: They are made different from the stock one's, they are a sealed unit. :yes: Not using the oil in the shock, for damping at all, :nea: but only to lube the shaft, & seal. :hihihi: They may make good on the damper's, they shouldn't have came apart. :whistling:

Installed new air shocks, rides great. Two emails to Progressive, no response. Local Progressive dealer, "we can't do anything with them".

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176132#p176132:1a7n6mq4 said:
OldWrench » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:02 pm[/url]":1a7n6mq4]
Well if I were thinking of replacing my OEM shocks I wouldn't buy theirs, that is terrible service.
I'm thinking the same way. Regardless how nice the product. I will not buy with service that shoddy.

Okay an update... I think I have what I need (finally), about 7 or 8 emails. They provided assembly directions for the current model, presume that is to be used for how to take apart and put back together, we'll see. They advised to use red thread lock on the rod, no evidence of that being on there, must be why it unscrewed itself. When it cools off some around here, I'll make up a tool to use and try to see if it works. I'm planning on photos also as I go. Will post up here when it happens.

Looking forward to your tutorial Mike as I am about ready to fit some second hand 416s to the Rats Nest and probably will need your expertise in the future.

Can't say anything about the damper's that come apart. :nea: Several year's ago had a shock on BOTH a1200, & the 1500, that took a shit on me, :cheeky: but not at the same time. :hihihi: Called sent them both back, :yes: even though one was leaking, they said that they were not supposed to do that, replaced the broken one's can, damper, seal, & rebuilt the other one, sent them back, no charge. :good: The set's that they rebuilt, have stayed together, :whistling: the other set so far have been great, :salute: & the stock can's used on the set i built are great as well, but i only used the blue thread lock. :smilie_happy:

Latest posts