Cheap fuse warning!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
I recently found out about a TSB(technical service bulletin) from GM concerning the use of certain fuses....It ain't good news! :sensored:
Seems these fuses are not "popping" when they should...and when that happens all of the smoke comes out of the wires. :sensored:
The TSB is # TSB 07-08-45-002
It states that they tested some of these fuses. The 15amp fuse wouldn't pop even when directly shorted across the battery terminals! :eek:
I have a copy of the bulletin that I can send out, if anyone is interested.
The fuses in this particular instance came from Harbor Freight & Tool.
What brought it to my attention was someone from one of my Trans Tech forums. He had a car that had no reverse lights. He found a bad fuse, and replaced it. When they started the car, and put it into reverse to check the lights, all of the smoke came out of the wires under the dash! :sensored:

Anyway...just wanted to pass this along, and warn ya'll about buying the cheapest fuses you can find...in this case, it just ain't worth saving a few pennies. So...if you have anything on your 'Wing with spade-type fuses, beware!!

The regular/mini sized blade fuses.
base_media

The one's tested were from Harbor Freight.
Here's the actual TSB...
1t2mha90g5ob

1t2mha90g5ob

AApple":vwzdlyb6 said:
The regular/mini sized blade fuses.
base_media

The one's tested were from Harbor Freight.
Here's the actual TSB...
1t2mha90g5ob

1t2mha90g5ob

Surprising they dont blow. Must be too thick wire across there or bad material.

Not a good idea to rely on anything from HF. After hearing this I wouldnt walk away with any of their products plugged in.

Latest posts