ARRRRRGH!!! 'Wing keys fell out...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
...on the ride in to work this mornin..... :sensored: :rant: Got here, and had no way to turn the bike off, or get into the trunk to get my lunch box...which contains the keys to my tool box...which contains my lock picks...it's a vicious cycle. My Wing keys took flight.
I disconnected the battery so the lights and stuff would be off. I wanted to take the shelter off to see if the keys had fallen down in there(fat chance), but....I gotta take the seat off first, and to get the seat off, ya gotta take the lids off the saddlebags....which I have no key for..... :sensored: :rant:
I wound up breaking into the trunk to get my shop keys, anyway. Managed to pop the front latches on the saddlebags to get the seat off and look, but no dice there. Dang things are laying on the highway somewhere between here and the house. It's only 40 miles of all highway...should be easy to spot them, eh? :sensored:
Now, I gotta call a lockingsmith to come to the shop and hopefully make a key.

So....how's YOUR day starting off? :shock:

Dang, I didn't realize it was still MONDAY. :shock: Joel, I don't know what wing god you pissed off but this has just not been your year. Ready for a gremlin bell yet? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Doesn't help you now, but (and this is from experience and addressed to everybody) always have and carry/hide a spare key. This advice is on ANY vehicle. More than once (twice actually :oops: ) I have locked keys in the car. Once I had a spare in my wallet and once was AAA to the rescue :Awe: .

If your key is removable in the on position, it is worn and needs replaced anyway. Preferably not under your current circumstances. :evil:

:smilie_happy: oh my ...that makes putting in a relay in the exercise bike not as bad as it was before this post ...i have to adnit ive got one bike that that way too ...key comes out in run possition :shock: :fiddle: :Doh2: i need to get one made :mrgreen:

$102 later, I have two new keys. :shock:
The new key does not seem to want to come out of the ignition with it "On", but it will come out of any of the other locks in any position. I had a lanyard here with a removable/click-on key ring on one end. It is now affixed to the handlebar right under the ignition switch.
I dint realize that there are 12, count em, 12 locks on this thing!
I took one of the saddlebag locks off and, and the guy had a key made in about 10 minutes, maybe less. I also put the extra key in my wallet this time. I'll have a couple more spares made, and put them somewhere, just in case.
Dang the luck.....Gremlin bell? Heck no...I need something more along the lines of the Liberty Bell, at this point! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Oh boy that is GOOD advise to carry a spare key.

I had just gotten an alarm system installed on my new service van and I was still working out the settings and trying different things.
The alarm is tied into my door locks of course and with the particular setting it was on was to lock the doors a few seconds after the engine is started.
The alarm uses the door pin to sense if the door is open and only once the door is closed should it lock.
Well there was something wrong with the driver door pin which didn't make a contact properly so the alarm saw the door as closed even though the door was open. I knew this was happening just hadn't had time to fix it.

So.......I'm way up in the hills of Pasadena at a service call.
It's later in the day and the house keeper let me in. She was all done and left me to do my thing, I was to lock the door when done.
So I'm all done, lock the house door. Put all my stuff by the truck in the driveway. It's a blistering hot day so I decided to start it and crank up the A/C.

Well here's where the fun begins.

I start it up, crank on the A/C and just as I was pulling the door closed the locks locked!
I usually swing the doors closed as I'm walking away but I heard the locks close and swung around to catch the door but just missed stopping it from latching. Damnit!

I stop for a second and think, side door is open right? NO!
A window must be open. NO!
Back door MAYBE, :beg: NO!

Wonderful!

So I think there's gotta be a way into this thing.
NO! Tight as a drum. Windows are rolled up tight and all doors are closed all the way!

Luckily I have my phone but service is very weak and there are no neighbors home.
All this time the engine is running. I think I can't go TOO far from it sitting like this so after walking around for 10 minutes I finally find a spot with strong enough signal and call a locksmith.

This guy was a real gem I tell ya.
I have no map and I'm trying to give him directions but I've driven to this place so many times by memory, sheesh I don't know the street names so I'm giving him left right turns kind of directions.
Well after calling me 4-5 times as he got closer somehow he made it almost an hour later!
Then it took this guy over a 1/2 hour to get in. he asks me he asks "Do you have a coat hanger?" :smilie_happy:

My god. I don't remember how we finally got in but yeah, KEEP AN EXTRA KEY!
I keep one in my wallet for the van, gotta figure out something for the bike.

Been there too. I got a spare hid out on each of my vehicles, spare to all vehicles in my wallet and I carry two key rings one in each pocket while the other is in use. Is that OCD or what? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

joedrum":8mfv5lhg said:
...i have to admit I've got one bike that that way too ...key comes out in run position :shock: :fiddle: :Doh2: i need to get one made :mrgreen:
Remember though, a copy of a worn key will be no better than the key it's copied from. :doh: You need one cut by the lock code.

I did pull my keys (two on the same ring) out of the ignition once and had them fall into the shelter. I didn't say very nice things about myself as I tore the bike apart in a McD's parking lot to retrieve those keys. After that, I put a "Remove Before Flight" flag on the key ring and also hid the spare key somewhere on my bike. Now if I could just remember where I hid the spare. :smilie_happy:

Yes I am. Also can be cut at most dealerships, locksmiths, and several websites including eBay. As backlander found out, your results may vary.

Aftermarket replacement locks and modified locks are problematic as the Honda codes don't always coincide. Anyone can PM me and we'll see what I can do. I can only do keys for Honda locks like on the 'Classic' Goldwings (1000-1500). These keys were used on a lot of other Honda models though.

I have also had good luck with deciphering the code from a picture of a working key, when a code is not available.

The codes are on all (that I've seen) OEM locks and OEM keys. 3 to 6 digits numeric or alpha-numeric.

cost is $5 each shipped.

Good to know, Ron. :good: That's prolly how this guy got mine cut so quickly, once I had the saddlebag latch off, and in his hands.

One of the problem I was having this morn was getting into ANYTHING. When I ride, I take my wallet, and my other keys, and put them in my luchbag...in the trunk....so I don't loose them...
My work tool box is locked, with the keys in the trunk of the bike, so I had no tools to do anything with. I managed to press down on the top of the trunk enough to be able to pry the latch loose, and get the trunk open. Did the same thing with the saddlebag lids. Took the seat off, and dug down around the engine and stuff looking to see if the keys had fallen down in there(yeah...right). Even used my bore scope to look. No luck. Just had to bite the bullet and get the lockingsmith guy.
Of course, Mama, who is all the time locking herself out of her own car, had to insist that I get two keys made, and put one in my wallet..... :Doh2:
:smilie_happy:

Oh well...life goes on, eh? :fishin:

AApple":3t7pun59 said:
...The new key does not seem to want to come out of the ignition with it "On", but it will come out of any of the other locks in any position....
If you think about it, the bags and trunk locks have to come out in the locked or unlocked positions. Otherwise as each have 2 locks, you'd have to have 2 keys to open them if they didn't.

The other locks (helmet, shelter, fairing, radio, etc.) are spring loaded to the locked position (AFAIK.)

The ignition is the only lock that needs a position, in use, that the key doesn't come out. Even then, it comes out in 3 of 5 positions (lock, park, off.)

Wow good to know! :thanks: We just purchased a used GW last night and only recieved 1 key. I am going to have him get a second (maybe third to keep @ home) made as soon as it gets home from the shop. :Doh2:

Personally I'd rather have someone from the forums making a couple bucks instead of some locksmith.
What Ron charges is a small fraction, though the locksmith did have to go to him so there's an expense he has to pass on.

I now have the code for mine, and since I am going to have a couple more made, I'll be callin upon Mr. Ron for those. :yes:
I discovered that with the spare in my wallet, and my wallet locked in the trunk....I have to turn the ignition OFF before I can unlock anything else....not liking that at all. I'm used to being able to have the engine running/warming while I'm putting on my gear in the mornings. Can't do that now, until I get another spare or two. :swoon:

AApple":ylzhvstl said:
...I discovered that with the spare in my wallet, and my wallet locked in the trunk....I have to turn the ignition OFF before I can unlock anything else...
:doh: Relied too much on that key coming out in the ON position, didn't you?

Latest posts