1200 wheel mod for safe car tire mounting

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
pics
image.php

finally taking car tire off to put new valve stem in ..and take pics of rim i modded

image.php

jacked up and ready ...

image.php

wheel off

image.php

tire fixing to have a date with me and a flat bar :builder: :thanks:

pics
image.php

well here it is ..this also where i turned it ..wheell axcle,block,milk crate,wood wall and perfect axcle rest..

image.php

first shot spinning this shot still

image.php

another still shot

image.php

hmmm the spinning shots seem to clearly show better what was done....there was a back bump or tire catcher just befor middle dip down ..i guess to keep tire from backing up ..id like to know if other MC wheels have that ...no car rims do ...anyway this tire fits and beads with valve stem in and pancake compressor witch aint much a tool..it not coming back off ..the car tire that is ..anyway once the bump was gone there was a lot to take out after that ..all the way to the outside edge ...basiclly i did most the work with a 4" grinder..and a 1/4" stone wheel and a cut off thin wheel ...mostly all 1/4" stone but cut grade line in wheel to stay even and see it so ...had the wheel on and off six times and now this makes 7 for valve stem and pics ...it was a tough mod but taught me all i never wanted to know about putting tire on MC rim sheesh...secret is for me was two carpenter flat bars .....ask away on ? ill try to answer them... :builder: :thanks:

Pics are great joe, it appears that the rim still has incline towards the outer edge so that the tire bead tightens as it seats to the edge. I'm curious as to the actual thickness of the stock wheel and the "milled" wheel in the area between the back hump and the outer edge, it doesn't appear that very much was removed from that area, most of the removal was the back hump. Is that correct ? Do you have any way to measure that thickness that you ended up with?

beleave me mike ..it wasnt enough to hurt anything ....the incline was kept the same and basiclly it was sticking still after bump was gone and had to mill more right there and all the way to edge ...in no way am i worried about the wheel work ...it just barely works as it is ..backing it up to dismount the tire had to be done quite careful it just dont slide back off easy ...

as far as i went ..i had no measuring stuff and just took off rim till it seated good and no more ... :builder: :thanks:

yes duster it is 15" ...has a vwbug tire on it....just got stem in and tire mounted back on rim ...sweet job wheel went from no way to bead it ...to beads easier than any wheel ive ever dealt with ... :eek:k: :thanks:

It is a bead lock and was quite common on Range Rover/ Landrover
Wheels and other 4wds that don't want the tires to unseat off the rim when running low tire pressures for beach/ sand driving

no...not without modding the whole 1200 swing arm ,,rear brake bracket..... caliper and rear rotor... not a hard mod on 1100s but lots of parts to have though .. lower rpm quite a bit on 1100s making nice road bike especially 83 1100s

pic
image.php

well the tire back on ..hmmmmm i think this makes 8 times since i started this wheel mod ...just took this pic ..wanted to check to see how much pressure i used to bead the tire ..wow right at 35lbs ...

well this is going to be the first darkside 1000 framed bike ive heard of ....well im glad to be at this spot ...for yrs ive been wanting to do this ....ever since a i thought my 79 gl1000 my first wing...and thought that the rpm were to much at interstate speed...and that MC tires that fit a oldwing ...in my opinion are junk,low quality and flat out dangerous ...seems there a couple of MC tire makers who actually do make decent tires ...but for where i live even those wear out quick and are not design to handle back road riding safely ....big day for me to get this to the road ...what little i have rode it with the car tire on has been possitive ...but were talking just a few miles so far.. cant wait to get more in ...now to get hooch back together ... :builder: :thanks:

this is no recomendation in any way ,,,it a gremax tire ..couldnt find the link ..but it was th cheapest tire that slabghoust could find ....52$ delivered to my door ...so this whole thread is possible only because slab bought the tire ...a huge plus in my corner ....most the things i do would not happen if it wasnt for others here who help me at times ... :thanks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157863#p157863:1f45i36u said:
brianinpa » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:53 am[/url]":1f45i36u]
Joe, I wanna make sure I got this right... which area are you removing material from: the red circle or the yellow circle?

file.php

This is why I haven't commented, I wasn't sure what I was seeing. It's a subtle difference but I think the red area, looks good spinning.

~O~

yellow is right brian .....hmmm being yellow not often right :doh: gee the icons are yellow too :cheeky: :sensored:the outside edge is the forbidden zone ...dont go there on purpose or not on purpose that aint good

:builder: :thanks:

Latest posts