GL1100 RATTLING NOISE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137101#p137101:nybjcsww said:
chilidawg » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:03 am[/url]":nybjcsww]
Naw, nothing wrong with a good donor bike, that's how my project started, 15 years and $15,000 ago. :head bang:

Stop hitting the wall and you won't have a headache! :smilie_happy: :wave:

I probably won't get it till after new year because of cost to ship it here.
We have a Member here Jerseydogg that is a truck driver and transports vehicles. When we met up I mentioned to him to take some time to let Members know he can transport Wings too.

Maybe send him a PM to see if he will be in that area?

Here is a thread he did on his bike:

viewtopic.php?p=134592#p134592

Ok guy's. I got my new toy deliver today. This thing is all dress out.

Now on with a question I have on the carburetor's. I have taken a hard pc. of paper and make a float adjusting tool like randakk sells. I make it so on bottom edge up its 15.5mm. Now from what I have readed all over web. It states floats should be 15.5mm the whole length of float. When I check my all 4 I have 15.5mm on the end of floats, but way less down by were the hinge is on all 4 floats. This is were i'm confuse. But it don't take much to confuse me. I don't see how you can have 15.5mm the whole length of float because I would have to really have the tangs bent to get the whole length.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137494#p137494:326t3tql said:
auctioneeral » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:45 pm[/url]":326t3tql]
Ok guy's. I got my new toy deliver today. This thing is all dress out.

Now on with a question I have on the carburetor's. I have taken a hard pc. of paper and make a float adjusting tool like randakk sells. I make it so on bottom edge up its 15.5mm. Now from what I have readed all over web. It states floats should be 15.5mm the whole length of float. When I check my all 4 I have 15.5mm on the end of floats, but way less down by were the hinge is on all 4 floats. This is were i'm confuse. But it don't take much to confuse me. I don't see how you can have 15.5mm the whole length of float because I would have to really have the tangs bent to get the whole length.
Mine had all 4 even all the way, may be possible your float needles too long, I have heard allot of griping about atermarket rebuild kits. I would try and make them the whole 15.5 across, may run rich if you dont.

well all i can tell you is what i do ... the important thing is that float shuts the gas off before the float top hit the car body and dosnt shut the gas off.. in a for sure setting ..if this is not done right the carbs will leak gas into the motor and can cause damage like hydro lock a cylinder and bend a rod ...or leak into oil thinning it out and causing over all lower end trouble to bearing ... ive done a lot of rack and never used a gauge ever ...who knows how many times these floats have been screwed with over the yrs to make these statements meaningless and as z man has said it could be after markets also that makes these statemants meaningless ...seems float level acroos like carb bady seems to be where they like to when gas for sure gets cut off

Keep in mind the needle valves are equipped with tiny spring loaded detent pins. Floats are set with the rack 90 degrees from the workbench. This is done so the floats will seat the needles but not compress the detent pins. No telling what level they've been set to without checking the fuel level with a clear tube in the drain and up the side of the carb. Fuel level should be just below the top of the carb bowls with rack sitting level.

Ok guys I'm confuse. Carb. Float adjustment. I got the toe end of float at 15.5mm. Heal were the hinge is 13.5mm. All 4 carbs.
Now what do I bent to get 15.5mm on that end. Early post stated maybe aftermarket seat valve. Well I got 4 new seat valves from Honda at $37. A pc. And is same as my old ones. #16011-pk1-005.
I just don't see how to get heal end of float at 15.5mm.
Unless I bent the whole hinge part.

Attachments

• 20141217_113036.jpg
    20141217_113036.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 20141217_113026.jpg
    20141217_113026.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 134
I would adjust the tang till the rear end(closest to the tang) reads 15.5 then adjust down the front of the float down. If you can wedge a dowel or small socket next to the hinge(if possible) so bending does not disturb the other end..
They say when adjusted right the float is even with the body.
When all is done I would fill them using a 4-5 foot hose to the top of the hose letting them sit for a day just to be sure they are fuel tight then drain into a CC beaker or measuring cut to be sure you have equal amount of fuel in each, think it is 52CC`s.

great post Z and about exactly the way id go after it if i thought the floats were wrenched way to far out of shape to do right ...great wording ... smart hands is everything thing here and obviously these floats havnt seen any yet in the past by previous owners or mechanics

you may just be over looking at this ... when i do stock racks and floats are off the carbs i basically lay down on flat surface all of them and see if there all same looking ...if not i get them to look the same pin area rules.... it has to focal point ... pass that i put them on carb and basically know from here that the four floats will sit the same in each carb and set tangs from there ...to me it simple and to be honest i hardly ever use gauge ... but ive done it enough i just dont need it ... it more important that the floats sit the same in all 4 carbs to me ...than perfect measurement

Ok here pictures of all 4 Floats with carb laying upside down.

Attachments

• 20141218_150134.jpg
    20141218_150134.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20141218_150124.jpg
    20141218_150124.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 20141218_150100.jpg
    20141218_150100.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20141218_150051.jpg
    20141218_150051.jpg