Coolant in oil

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodbeard

Reaction score
IMAG0354.jpg

Still tearing down. Hope it's just a waterpump seal as i don't have any smoke in exhaust. Could that much coolant leak through the waterpump seal? Would I expect to have white smoke in the exhaust if it was a headgasket?

take those two bolts off the bottom radiator hose cover thats showing when off you can see the impeller of the water pump ...wiggle it back and forth ....lets hope its wobbly ...that would indicate the seal is bad there ....and it could be the water pump doing this .....good luck ....

I haven't seen one THAT loose before, I'd say the seal must be about gone as well as the bearing!

Lotsa places to get the pump and seals.
cheapcyclesparts seems to be pretty reasonable.

That first pic was after a 15 mile trip to work and back on a fresh oil change. Funny thing is it went quick. I just noticed the oil color after a 100 mile ride. (The logest it has withstood so far) but man it seams like it came on fast. I had thought it was the seafoam I had added to free the starter clutch. I'm guessing coolant was sticking up the starter clutch now. I should have known when the oil window was higher after a trip.

dan filipi":1vse9w60 said:
I haven't seen one THAT loose before, I'd say the seal must be about gone as well as the bearing!

Lotsa places to get the pump and seals.
cheapcyclesparts seems to be pretty reasonable.
Man i'd say. Seal and bearing as you said. Had to have made some kind of noise, wouldn't ya think? :headscratch: :headscratch:

Nothing striking. Albeit this is my first wing. I've been replacing thins where i hear noises like belts was gonna do a valve adjustment next but found this.

:shock: Yeppers...I'd say that puppy was just about outta there! :shock:
Yeeesh....I hope mine ain't that bad.... :beg:

With the seals and what certainly appears to be wiped bearing, you have to go find the little pieces of bearing! First, see if they showed up in your oil filter. If not, there is an oil sump screen on the lower right hand side of the engine behind the frame. Pull the cover and screen to see if the parts are there. Wouldn't want you driving around with slivers of metal circulating!

Pump replaced. Time consuming Job. all the bearings were still in the housing. didn't see where anything could have went toward the oil side. the coolant side was rough looking though. Just did the morning commute and so far the oil level hasn't changed. so at least the crankcase isn't filling up anymore. The oil still looks milky after riding this morning but I'm sure that's cleaning out all the gunk inside I added about 3 oz's of sea foam too.. Doing another oil change when I get home tonight.

If anyone is planning on doing this try and find liquid gasket remover before you start. Nobody here in my neck of the woods carries it. Which lead to alot of brake cleaner and wet-sanding to gt the old gasket off.

Glad to hear you are back on the road! When the oil is dropped out, there is still more than 3/4 of a quart trapped in the engine between the clutch, gears and other hiding places. When I pulled my '81 engine, we dropped the oil, left the plug out, cranked the engine with the starter and another 1/2 quart came out. Dropped the engine out and while on it's side....another 1/2 quart came out! So it is not surprising that there is still coolant in the trapped oil! Spinning the engine with the plug out will get a lot of it out.

Ah thanks for the tip. I may stop and get another gallon of oil on the way home advance has rotella on sale for 15 bucks a gal. and I'll save my valvoline for the last change.

We'll about a 10 drip spot on the right side when i went to lunch guess i'll be checking bolts when i get home. I think it will make the tail of the dragon trip this weekend though.

Latest posts