Coolant Temp-Hot or Not? (Thread split from "Water pump/front cover" thread)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something to add to the mix that is often not considered.....the oil cooler is located under the engine. Have you ever noticed the big heat sink? The entire underside of the engine is a heat sink for the oil. The oil filter housing is shaped with the ribs for the same reason.

:head bang: Youse guys just ain't never satisfied, are ya? :rant:
:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:
I took a couple o pics of what I have in mind. These are just the preliminary pics...the actual location of the side panels will be several inches higher. In fact, there will be nothing lower than the grill that is on there now...nothing covering the oil filter housing at all......so THERE! :cheeky:
Yeesh...ya just cain't please some folks......
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

:mrgreen:
I just have to come up with something to connect the two side pieces together, across the bottom....

AApple":6zsq14xx said:
I just have to come up with something to connect the two side pieces together, across the bottom....
1/2" aluminum strip that can be bent to fit, attach with a bolt on either side and drill to accept the bottom bolts on the radiator/grill and hide behind the grill?

mcgovern61":3ewgpcz9 said:
1/2" aluminum strip that can be bent to fit, attach with a bolt on either side and drill to accept the bottom bolts on the radiator/grill and hide behind the grill?

That's pretty much what I had in mind, Gerry. :yes: I have some plexiglass I thought I would try out first. I also have a plastic welder to weld it all together once I get it situated properly, if need be. Bolts/nuts, or rivets are also in the mix. I do have some sheet stock(aluminuminum and galvanized steel) if needed.I'll have a better idea of the finished product tomorrow...I hope. The pics don't show how the side pieces are curved...in the pics, they look flat, but they ain't. It's gunna look sorta like a big ol square funnel. :yes:

petefan1":dyghiyaj said:
D@#N...a plastic welder????

Well..yeah...doesn't everyone have one? :hihihi:
This is the one I have. I bought it a few years ago to be able to fix some stuff, like the cracked fairing on my 'Wing, but I have actually used it more at the shop, fixing stuff the other guys have broken...like radiator tanks, and bumpers. Works pretty well, once you figure out how to do it. Lots of practice, tho....my first attempts dint go so well.... :blush:

click image for link

I'm wid ya, Pete! :builder: :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm done(for now) with my "custom" air box for my raditater. It may look a little funky, but once I see if it is gunna stand up, I'll take it back off and do some final detailing. Took me aboot 4 hours to get it done. I think it looks otay, and should certainly shovel some more air in thru the rad. When I thought I was finished, I decided to go ahead and put a support piece in the center, in case the bottom part wanted to flap in the wind. I used some galvanized strapping I have, and formed it to fit around/under the bottom part, for extra support in the middle. Made it much mo sturdier.
Rather than post thumbnails for all of the pics, I'm just gunna put this one in this thread, and you can click on it and go thru my gallery and see the rest, and see the progression from start to finish. :good:

:thanks:
Sorry fellers...this is destined to be a one-off...never to be duplicated. For one, I have no friggin idea what the spoiler part I used for the sides came off of. And secondly, I have no friggin clue what the bottom part I used came off of...I sure hope it wasn't one of my cars! :blush: The bottom part is a section of a panel that fits up under the front of a car, to direct the air flow under the car, and to hide the frame and stuff.
I'll know when I get to the shop tomorrow if my welding job held up... :beg: It should..the lower piece isn't really angled down all that much, plus, the tire/fender is right in front of it, so there may not be much air pushing down on it. If it works, then I'll clean it up, paint it, and run some weatherstripping down the sides, between the box and the fairing lowers. :moped:
What I'm hoping to see is a lowering of the coolant temp while cruizing. I know it ain't gunna do squat when stopped, but if it brings the cruize temps down, then I've accomplished something...something that dint cost me nuttin! :yahoo:

Hey, I was running my bike the other day. sitting still, holding throttle at 3500, my temp climbs to fan on easily, and struggles to cool down well unless allowing to idle. Im not trying to knock your desire to fabricate as I love too as well, but dont want you to worry either about your temps

petefan1":ebe9260h said:
uuuhhhhh....one really stupid question and coming from a CGW owner at that.....is there or isnt there a fan shroud?
Yes, all models have a shroud around the fan blade.
What Apple has made are air deflectors to help ram air through the radiator while moving.

Well...the verdict is in....drum roll please....
LP_Drummer_smiley_by_Hp1.gif

The shovel WORKS! :yahoo: Gauge took a lot longer to get to the 1/2 mark, and pretty much stayed there for the 46 mile ride, in mid-80* temps. It did get just enough past center to say it was past center, but that's it. It never got over that, even when slowing down. :party:

But...and there's ALWAYS a but with anything I do....there IS a downside. There is WAAAAAAY more hot air coming past the fan shroud/fairing lowers/top shelter on me...I could definitely tell when the thermostat opened! :heat: :heat: This will be great in colder weather, but right now, they are predicting 110* temps by the end of the week. Great.... :rant:
Time for the duct tape.... :builder:

Latest posts