1100 Trike ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge

Reaction score
as I get older I have thought more and more about a Trike.... has any of you guys ever built a Trike out of a 1100 Goldwing ??? I could use some small car Rear End. and build one I'm sure......the only thing is....No Reverse. . . . but....hey, I don't have one on my Goldwing Now.. :smilie_happy:

It has been done, I've seen a few pictures.
Its not cheap to do it right, especially if your going to have a specialty shop build it since I don't think there are any bolt on kits

I'm a Retired Mechanic , and I have built several Hot Rods , Street Rods...... Campers , Motor Cycles.........and I'm sure I can build one, one thing I need to know , is what kind of Gearing a stock 1100 rear wheel gear is...... so..............I could start looking for something close to the same.

not sure if gearing is the same but my subaru runs the same rpm at speed as an 83 1100. Rear differential is small enough to not add too much weight.I would think shorten right driveshaft and the Suby rear would do well. Yes I've been thinking trike a while too. An electric reverse can be rigged.

im sure its a job but ive never done it ....jusr seen one done in tenn at bluff city to an ltd 1200 ....robthehilllbilly place he did it in thre gravel drive ,,,,it was nice im sure you could do it sledge

You have probably done the research but Voyager makes a kit that easily comes off and costs about half of what a regular permanent conversion costs. We have thought about it and even driven a couple but am just not ready to go there yet. Maybe someday though. I drove one with the rake kit on the front wheel and one without. The rake kit is a must. The difference in steering was incredible.

https://www.mtcvoyager.com/motor-trike.html?gclid=CLeG5q7J4KoCFRDGKgod5Xku-w

I have talked to a few people about this .......and yeah , they say the ones that are factory , with a steep Rake drive like a car.

I used to have a nice Trike , back in the 70's with a VW Motor on it ... and a Springer front end. but , it didn't drive real well , and stopped even worse than that..No front brakes........... :smilie_happy: , but....it was Coooool ......... :smilie_happy:

well.........I turned 60 this past May . and I have had 4 major Back Surgerys over the years.... ( Motor Cycle & Car Wrecks ) and Now in the last few years , Sometimes when I am riding and stop for say a .... red light.....stop sign..... when I put my feet back up on the floor boards , half the time I have this BAD Pain in my right Hip. . . Only happens when I'm riding a motor cycle , after a stop.... so...... I'm thinking a Trike might help that because I wouldn't have to put my feet on the ground at a stop . I hate to think about not being able to ride anymore . I'm not giving up , till I have to. :music:

well........... that would do the same thing , but ... I like the looks of a Trike anyway. I'm kinda thinking about this stuff , before I Have to do something. I Hope I got a few more years before I Have to make the choice.

The trike idea certainly sounds good for your situation if riding is causing you pain. Biking is supposed to be fun and being in pain certainly takes the fun out of it. If I had one it would have to have reverse though. It seems like it would be very easy to get trapped without it. I might even have one now if they weren't so ridiculously expensive. The storage space would really be nice. One we looked at had as much trunk space as a small car. One of them we looked at (with no intention of buying) was a 97 with 70K miles but it was showroom nice with the rake kit and everything else you could think of. We didn't buy it of course and it sold the next day for $17.5K

Ohhh yes , the new ones are NICE.......but , Lord the Price . around here a new Goldwing Trike is between $32,000 and $40,000 ..... thats about $31,000 and $39,000 over my Budget ......... :smilie_happy: next time I got the rear wheel off my Goldwing, I'm gonna figure out pretty close to what the Gearing is in the rear hub......... and start looking for a Small Light Car Rear, about that Gearing.

sledge":38oh08wr said:
Ohhh yes , the new ones are NICE.......but , Lord the Price . around here a new Goldwing Trike is between $32,000 and $40,000 ..... thats about $31,000 and $39,000 over my Budget ......... :smilie_happy:
Which is precisely why I don't have a trike yet.

I could not bring myself to use them Training Wheels..............maybe it's an Old Age Thing , I don't know.

now sledge :smilie_happy: theres a guy in tenn who dose trikes he in knoxville his name is skip im trying to buy a 1500 final drive wheel and brake setup ...i dont know how close that is to you but he dose nice work on 1500s and has done many ....i think hes done 1200 too ...he could probably help a lot on info ....hes over at the saunders i will try find out more on him sledge :mrgreen:

Latest posts