1500 MILES!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonewulf666

Reaction score
Well I finished my trip from upstate New York to sunny Florida with only minor hiccups along the way. One thing is that after this trip I would guesstimate my wing to run at about 30 mpg. I'm curious what you other classic wingers get off yours and who you think is a likely culprit for gas guzzlin'. Anyway, now that the holidays are just about over I think i'm heading out soon, so if you live along the southwestern route to california keep your eyes peeled for this mean looking beauty

Attachments

• moto trip.jpg
    moto trip.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 147
My '81 Innerstate will get 41mpg IF I ride it sensibly.....which I don't. So...it averages right around 38 mpg, all highway riding, not loaded down, at an average speed of 70mph...with a quick burst every now and then, you know...just to clear it out.... :blush:

And now....Where's the PICS?!?? :yes:

I'm gonna think your floats might not be set right and you might be dumping gas while burning it? On the highway, my bike fully loaded averaging 75 MPH gets 42 MPG. I get 38 MPG around the city with stop and go traffic.

I'm guessing your air/ fuel mixture screws are still set at the base setting. Set your idle to 950 and adjust one mixture screw to the highest rpm you can get. Then reset the idle to 950 and adjust the next carb mix the same. Do all four twice as each carb affects the others. On the 1000 racks at least the mixture screws are pretty easy to get to. You should see some improvement in mpg and throttle response. If you've already done this then you might want to check your air filter.

your traveling nix some atf ...automatic trans fluid in the gas ...5-8oz per tank and travel you will be cleaning all the way ...on the hyway your bike is capable for 45mpg easy at 70 mph ...but id say good spark is probably lacking some and carbs to causing this milage ...the atf will help big time ...id say perfect opprotunity to clean the inside of motor and carbs ...with this mix

Latest posts