1977 GL1000 New Owner (with thanks and more questions)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridge97

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1977 GL1000
First, thank you for your posts reassuring me that my motor would not shift when I removed the front mounting bolt to install crash bars. All went perfectly well, expect that the length of the engine mounting bolt was not enough to accommodate the added thickness of the bar, so that one mounting point is hanging in the air until I find a longer bolt. Other questions --

The bike (Weber single-carb conversion) idles steadily at about 1500 rpm when warm. When accelerating from a stop, the bike stumbles until it gets over 2500rpm or so, and I have to give it lots of throttle to not stall. I feel like I'm in second gear (I'm sure I'm in first). Carb adjustment?

Try and I (and a friend) might, I cannot get the bike on the center stand. I may have aftermarket shorter shocks, which are making this difficult. Any suggestions for 1) making it easier; 2) replacement shocks that are taller?

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• Goldwing Idle.MOV
    558.1 KB
  • Goldwing Side View.jpg
    Goldwing Side View.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
On that bottom bolt, I've seen some use all-thread rod for it, but remember that it is metric, so doubtful you'll find it at a US hardware store. Matbe try McMaster-Carr, ebay, Amazon.

Hard to get single-carb tuning instructions? It's because few have them, and they used a variety of carbs. Seems each had to be individually tuned.

This is a shot in the dark, but does your carb have an accelerator pump? My vw carb, let me increase the output of the accel pump to get rid of stumble on acceleration.
Your centerstand issue can be momentarily solved by rolling the bike backwards up a shallow ramp (2×4 & plywood) till there is enough room to get the stand down. Then measure the shocks to see if they're long enough.

This is a shot in the dark, but does your carb have an accelerator pump? My vw carb, let me increase the output of the accel pump to get rid of stumble on acceleration.
Your centerstand issue can be momentarily solved by rolling the bike backwards up a shallow ramp (2×4 & plywood) till there is enough room to get the stand down. Then measure the shocks to see if they're long enough.
Thank you, both excellent pieces of advice. Any guidance on how to adjust the accelerator pump?

Latest posts