1979 difference that I've not seen noted before.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidjones

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turned a '78 and '79 frame over, and found a noticeable difference between them. The '79 has gussets for the cross-bar that the center stand pivot mounts to where the '78 does not. I feel this is an important difference that I have never seen referenced before. A combination of rust prevention and these gussets may improve resistance to the frame failure shown on the '78.
79:
DSC07925.JPG
DSC07927.JPG

78:
DSC07926.JPG
DSC07928.JPG

For sure Honda engineers didn't sit around between model years doing nothing. It's what engineers do - they make improvements. While gusseting won't do anything to prevent rust, I'm sure they must have seen a potential weakness (or even early stress issues) on that cross member. It works pretty hard when the centerstand is used...

I’ve always thought the centerstand set up biggest problem was the thin wall steel used ..not up to the job ...especially once the shocks went sagging ..way to much stress put on stand tube to get it up

Latest posts