1980 idle jet question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damorsoft

Reaction score
I recently pulled my idle jets from carbs 2 & 4, cleaned them up, the horizontal holes were really bad and the jet was plugged. Anyhow nice and clean and back in the carb. However I have read that the removed jets may not stay where you put them after being pulled.
Anyone have them fall out after they have been pulled.
They seem to be secure, however pulling the carbs on I5 might be a bit of an annoyance.

Thanks

kbrockdDOTca

Welcome aboard. If the jets were secure they most likely will remain secure. I think you can rest easy on that concern.

I thought those were non-removeable ,therefore being destroyed if removed. How did you get em out and re-installed without wrecking them ?

leanjoe":e403hlz7 said:
I thought those were non-removeable ,therefore being destroyed if removed. How did you get em out and re-installed without wrecking them ?

Actually they come out quite easy, spray and soak em for a while. use a small self tapping screw into the jet opening and pry them out. They can then be cleaned (the horizontal holes are really cruddy). They can be tapped back in with small bolt or rod. The question is do they stay in, and I have heard now that they do.
If you have an old 80-81 carb around, could you pry one out and mail it to me. Mine was wrecked because I attempted to clean it out with a dremel tool and a tiny bit.
ooops not so good.
The actual jet is in the middle of the vertical hole so the screw does not affect the jet itself
The jet looks like so with a fairly large tube and a tiny jet in the center.

[====-====]

I am wondering if anybody has an unusable 80-81 carb, they can take the idle jet from and mail it to me. I drilled out the jet with a Dremel and now rue the day my wife bought me that tool

Thanks

yes it could be soldered and redrilled. If you have the right size drill. For future reference a drill can be used to clear jets IF it is the correct size and IF you twist manually with your fingertips.