1981 GL1100 Carb Sync Issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using 4 gauge they are with in a few lbs just cant them a 100% same. The battery makes senses, I'll check the other items as will. Thanks the sides info as will. Thanks again for all of the it maybe Friday before I can get back at it. I'll keep everyone one posted.

hmmmmm....stock carbs can be a nightmare ...there are so many things that can lead to leaks ...but first thing all are talking here is vacuum ...vacuum should be rather consistent ....with throttle plates closed ...loosen up all sync screws so there not in play ....hook up your 4 gauges to horns ...put kill switch to off so it wont start ...with a good battery spin the motor ...vacuum should register the same ...this will fine the carb that is out of wack with vacuum...or the cylinder that is not sucking enough ...a compression test will tell you that ...if compression is even ...then now you have the carb that is causing the problem ...weather its leaking air in somewhere ... pass this ..you can go after the slides and all working while running ...these motor are old and just there suction being off screws stock carb up ...you can sync them at any rpm you want ..and it be right there at that rpm with no load but it is impossible for it to stay even ..

personally i never do vac sync cause this done on a uneven motor makes the throttle plates off from one another ..i always bench sync the throttle plates and get the motor the best i can do from there ..this will get the best running motor over all in my opinion ..many disagree with that ...but it is my way to do it and get best results ...good luck ...

Joe's method sounds like a good starting point to check. I have found that if the base carburetor is set with its plate too far open, synching the rest to it, will make them all too far open. You could look in at the plate after removing the elbow. I try and have mine so only one of the three holes shows. Then set the rest close to that one. Start it, warm it up, then synch.

It does sound like a pudding sticking slide too.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167270#p167270:1qrne4jk said:
slabghost » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:35 pm[/url]":1qrne4jk]
Synchronizing the carbs is getting the butterfly openings even with all the carbs. This brings the slides into play also. Assuming all the slides are free and the springs are even. My guess is you need to bench synchronize.
:BigGrin:

Agreed, bench sync to start, :good: all settings where they are supposed to be, :read: everything spotless, :whistling: & it will run pretty well most of the time. :yes: