1982 Goldwing Ratbike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutt777

Reaction score
Heres the scoop..I have a 1982 golwing 1100, havent been on the road in over 20 years,,, ive gone thru the bike top to bottom, over 100 hrs in, heres my question....1} i CANT SEEM TO GET GAS TO THE CARBS... hooked it all up, but when I crank over the motor,,,with the line off the outlet from the fuel pump...nothing comes out..not a drop. :swoon: is there a relay that runs the pump like the 83? I thought it was a mech fuel pump..2} when I blow thru the lines on the pump...can get any air thru?? also....carbs are clean, new battery, etc,etc. has anyone just had to say f it, and try to pull start it to get the gas to the carbs?. when I put gas in the cylinders...it wants to start :head bang: ,,or how can I go about filling up the carbs with gas? like a prime?? when I can get gas to the carbs...im 99% sure Ill be firing her up. otherwise..this is my 6th wing,,,,the best bike on the planet, and Ive had my share...(traded my harley for a nother wing,,and out of the other 5...iv NEVER been left stranded.

You could gravity feed the carbs with funnel/hose etc to get a run out of the engine. I have an old boat tank with a hand primer bulb that I use for testing. Have you cleaned your fuel tank? If so it sounds like you may have a faulty fuel pump/ fuel tap. If your tank is completely full you can use that as a gravity feed.

you can always ue a temp tank to start it to check motor out ....you can go from fuel pump back back to tank checking till you can blow air into tank and if that dont work ..you can take petcock off and try there ...need to look in tank anyway could be all rusty ...might be a blessing it didnt get any gas yet carbs could get clog from the tank ..

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142953#p142953:24652hao said:
joedrum » Today, 1:00 pm[/url]":24652hao]
you can always ue a temp tank to start it to check motor out ....you can go from fuel pump back back to tank checking till you can blow air into tank and if that dont work ..you can take petcock off and try there ...need to look in tank anyway could be all rusty ...might be a blessing it didnt get any gas yet carbs could get clog from the tank ..
should you be able to blow thru the fuel pump??thu the inlet or out let? and how can I know its a good fuel pump when it has to run to ck it???as I asked before....when I turn it over...should it come out the outlet of the fuel pump??

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142957#p142957:3l8lv18o said:
wingnutt777 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 am[/url]":3l8lv18o]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142953#p142953:3l8lv18o said:
joedrum » Today, 1:00 pm[/url]":3l8lv18o]
should you be able to blow thru the fuel pump??thu the inlet or out let? and how can I know its a good fuel pump when it has to run to ck it???as I asked before....when I turn it over...should it come out the outlet of the fuel pump??

You haven't mentioned if you have cleaned the tank etc... If you run it with a gravity feed and the fuel lines off the pump you will be able to feel pressure on the outlet and suction on the inlet when you cover the pipes with your finger :yes:

If the pump lever was stuck at full throw for 20 years it may be stuck there and not moving. I'd pull the pump and see if it needs freed up.