1983 Goldwing rear brake rotor

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wolf

Reaction score
I just installed new brake pads and rebuilt the rear calipers-went for a small ride and my rear brakes are sticking, started to smoke they got so hot. My rotor is not smooth and I think that's a problem. Can I get it turned like an auto rotor or do I have to buy a new one.
Thanks for any help!

Trying to get on the road!

The rotor won't cause sticking brakes. The calipers sre sticking, or the fluid return hole (very tiny) in the master cylinder is plugged. The rotor can be turned if it's within tolerance - the min. thickness is stamped on the rotor.

I'm sure the weep hole is ok when I redid the master cylinder but to tell the truth I could never find it, plus the front brake that works with the back is ok. The pad pins were smooth and I had grease on them. The rotor does have some grooves in it so it probably does need turning down. Is there any chance the brake line is bad? I might change them too. The bikes been sitting for 13 years and the rear calipers had the bleed screw broke off when I got it. Got for free from my brother so I'm trying to get going. Thanks for the help!

Not sure you can re surface M/C rotors like you can cars, they are stainless steel and pretty tough, The motorcycle manufactures recomend replacing them after they reach Min. thickness.
Thats not to say you cant take some emery cloth and smooth them just sand evenly(I do it on the bke while spinning the wheel), I cant remember ever having a rotor that didnt have some grooves.
If it is real bad then look to new ones or good used ones.Cintered pads are well known for grooving a rotor.

OK Thanks for the reply, the back rotor definitly isn't smooth like the 2 front ones are, so I'll get a new plus replace the pads again, since they are are grooved now too.
Happy Riding!

youcant replace something they wont sale you listening recommendations from a manufacture wha refuse to supply parts or service is insane .....I don't know what it cost to have someone build a good rotor ....but it is surely more than anything I could afford .... but an angle grinder with proper sanding disk will take the hell right out of dealing with stainless....it takes smart hands to do this ... and im not suggesting you do this there are used rotors that can be bought and used by people who are not able to use aggressive tools because of the danger factor ... this is just inform you that stainlees steel is no beast that cant be whip .... it just cant be done by common rotor work shops and the tools use there ....

No I am not going to do that-i dont have the grinder anyway-I'm not sure getting a used is good either unless I can see it before I buy it.

Harbour freight have a cheap grinder and a flap disc ($15) that we used to de glaze and refurbish the discs on the Rats Nest. Prior to cleaning up I had almost no front brakes, now they work like a dream and the discs are wearing evenly with the new pads ( fitted before grinding the discs)

Latest posts