80 Front Fork problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTATSOC

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Burgundy 1980,1,2,3 Goldwing and a Black 1981 Goldwing
I've run into a fork issue I'm not sure how to fix. After changing wheel bearing it feels like it wants to step out in low speed turns. While checking to see if the forks where loose in the triple clamp or if my triple clamp was loose found that there is play between the sliders and the stanchions right where the dust seal is. :help: Not a lot of play just enough to see it flex when you push /pull the forks. Where do I start looking to fix this issue or are the sliders or stanchions history. I looked at the parts manual there is a bushing at the bottom of the stanchion changing this out if worn would it fix the issue.

..it sounds like the teflon coating is gone on the bushings, making them have some play in them, but it could be something else like joe said too.. I'm working on an old set right now...i'm in the process of trying to recoat them myself...i don't know if it is going to work..but if it does, i will post the info when i find out.

There are 2 bushings in each fork, one at the bottom of the tube in a wide groove, the other just below the seal in the slider. They're still available, not too expensive, and easy to change once you get the seal out. Hopefully, your fork tubes are in good shape!

Thanks for the Info, I was not aware that there was a replaceable bushing at the top, I knew about the bottom one. Unless someone has a better place to order them I will order through Bikebandit. After I get them installed I will let everyone know how the repair went.

Thanks for the help and info finally replaced the top and bottom bushings as suggested, and have driven the bike for a little over a week. I now have what feels like a new front end. I used to have to run 18-20 psi in the forks even with progressive spring, now running no air and have a much more responsive front end. Not only to the bumps in the road but steering is much improved it is not as sluggish with the new bushings.

Latest posts