'81 GL1100 carbs on a '76 GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmyoch

Reaction score
So my 76 came with 1100 carbs. Someone set this up years ago. When I resurrected the bike 8 years ago, it ran great. I decided that the SCC isn't for me so I'm going to revert back to the 4 carb setup. My carbs are VB48A's.

I went through the carbs today, all ports are clear, floats set to 15.5mm. How many turns out are the mixture screws? I want to get my initial settings as close as possible so I don't have to do much much mixture tuning on the bike. It's such a pain to get under the bowls to adjust.

Anyone else here running 1100 carbs on a 1000?

many have done it ..1100 carbs have some advantages over 1000 carbs but discounts too...being a 76 1000 id say there more disadvantage using 1100 carbs on the bike ...because of the cam difference in the 75-77 1000 motors ...the rebuild is more costly and harder and the lack of adjustment is huge to ...the 1100 carbs are smaller but can be smoother at lower rpm

seems the scc thing is not really for most as the carbs out there are all epa junk carbs kind of like the stock honda carbs are too ..no companies are allowed to make real carbs anymore ...but if on defeats the epa cancer these carbs all have its amazing how great they can make a oldwing run ...good luck ..as for setting the screws ..thats doesnt really apply cause the motor is not a 1100...im guessing start at 1 1/4 turn on the screws

I haven't had much luck with my SCC setup. I tried various jetting combos and the results all seem less than stellar. I pulled my plugs and all 4 are dark which means I'm running rich. I had to drain my oil due to fuel getting down into the case. It has been discouraging.

My belts are new, I re-adjusted the valves, reset my timing (points ignition) and gave the bike a good once over to rule out any other potential issues to keep it running smooth.

yah the scc idle being to rich is the huge thing ..oldwings dont need much for idling ...all carb cars seem to be way big in the idle circuit ..my carb i totally made my new idle circuit to cure that problem ....because of lean and surging factor float need to be set lower ...and jetting to match that lowering witch can get way bigger than car carbs come with ...so the deal of way rich at low rpm and way lean up top rpm is the simple statement by what my carb suffered ..but the end result was way more than i ever expected ...

Latest posts