82 std choices to make.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got an 82 gl1100 that needs wake-up service after a long sleep. 74k miles, radiator is dry, coolant overflow empty, coolant leak on bottom of the valve cover. Pretty sure it needs a head gasket(s). I can do the work it needs, but I'm wondering which configuration will attract the most interest. Naked, stock,in good running condition or bagger style with side bags but no top box mount? Cosmetic condition is very good, mechanical condition will be just right after my attentions to belts, brakes, fluids, tires, & battery. & electrics. It is not for sale yet, but if you want me to build it for you, we should talk. Pic of the brown '83 is to illustrate what I mean by "bagger style". All comments welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-08-14-33-58.png
    Screenshot_2023-06-08-14-33-58.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2023-01-20-21-56-43.png
    Screenshot_2023-01-20-21-56-43.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I sold an '81 Standard with just a windshield vs our '82 Standard with a windshield, bags and additional road trip comforts. I can tell you the '81 Standard got a lot more activity and sold for a higher price than my poor '82 Standard (The Slug).

'81 Standard:

81 GL1100 001.jpg

'82 Standard:

IMG_1050.JPG

Very interesting (I like bags!) I do have the stock seat rail in excellent condition. I won't put the luggage rack on but would give it to the buyer. (Unless he asks me to install it.) I'm trying to follow current styling trends because the amount of work changes little.

Taking a closer look at your '82 Standard, you have a big item in place that is often missing which is the original headlight and front turn signals. They are often taken off for a Vetter faring or similar. Seems minor, but it is a selling point. My opinion, get that Standard completely back to original configuration, polish the paint (it will always polish up nicely!), polish the forks, ditch the exhaust extensions and you have a desirable seller! (Man, I would almost jump on it if I could still ride.)

I knew when I bought it that the "standard" parts in good condition made it a good risk. I was surprised when I picked it up today that the stock seat rail was there too. Apparentley the head gasket leak in 2014 caused it to be parked in a protected garage. The inside of the tank is pristene!

I sold an '81 Standard with just a windshield vs our '82 Standard with a windshield, bags and additional road trip comforts. I can tell you the '81 Standard got a lot more activity and sold for a higher price than my poor '82 Standard (The Slug).

'81 Standard:

View attachment 49549

'82 Standard:

View attachment 49550
I am surprised that Honda did not label the naked GL1100 as a 'Custom' like they did the all the others. The square detatchable Hondaline bags look very sharp indeed!

I am surprised that Honda did not label the naked GL1100 as a 'Custom' like they did the all the others. The square detatchable Hondaline bags look very sharp indeed!
They do! But the Hondaline bags were a dealer add-on. I added them to my Standard plus I fabricated a mount to add the trunk to the Hondaline frame. I originally had all Hondaline quick detatch square bags and trunk, but wanted a larger trunk. The Vetter faring worked fantastic, but it was bulky and heavy. So I converted back to just a windshield. Took 40 pounds off the front end!

MVC-019F.JPG

Over the years, she went through quite a few changes:

Restored 82.JPG

82 Standard 002.jpg

82 GL1100 002.jpg

IMG_1073.JPG